• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adoption and INS

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

KSN

Mr. Martin, we have an INS question concerning foreign adoptions. My husband and I are in the process of adopting a child in Japan. We live in Japan and the child has been with us since his birth. We did not use an agency for this adoption. The adoption should be final no later than June of this year and was filed in compliance with the Japanese court using their laws and our home state laws of Illinois. What forms must be filled out with INS to get our son into the US and on the road to US citizenship? He has a Japanese passport at this time that the birth mother obtained for us. Our confusion lies in that he will have had his family named change to our last name, he will be recognized by the military as a legal military dependant (i.e, on the page 2 and eligible for all related benefits that our other natural children have), living with us for one year, and yet I need to fill out an I-600 that says he is an orphan? Home study? Pre-adoptive requirements - are we required to do after the fact - it was not required by the Japanese in our case since the birth mother placed/signed him into our care directly after his birth. I have tried several directories for an immigration attorney in Illinois, but have yet to find one. Is there a directory that you could refer me to? Many thanks for any direction that you may provide.

S

SJLin

There is a lot that goes on when adopting a child from abroad. It is something you may want to seek the assistance of a lawyer. For example, you would very likely need to get an approved homestudy, obtain permission from the INS by filing an I-600A application and other supporting documents. As well, you would probably need to obtain a visa in order to bring the child into the U.S.
https://attorneypages.com has a listing of lawyers that may be able to help you.

K

KSN

Thanks for your reply. However, we do not qualify for filing of the I-600, I-600A nor the 130. Obviously we need to obtain a visa, but to my knowledge there is not one that pertains to our unusual situation. I have be advised to file an I-131 for advance parole by INS this week, but wonder what is "humanitarian grounds" for granting such.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">