• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Security clearance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stmas

I'm in Maryland.
Have more than 13 years of computer experience and about 10 of them as Government contractor. Have lots of rewards and promotions, clean financially and have so far no criminal records. I’m not aggressive person and don’t consider myself as a very vocal person, although will never put up with something that is unfair not right especially in technical field as my reputation is very important to me.
2.5 years ago after 6.5 months working for a government contractor was let go by my not quite honest manager. (he has been demoted by now). The same day of my unexpected dismissal I complained to the upper management that the real reason was that I criticized him and witnessed his wrong doing, but this did not help. The company never sent me official reason of separation. On my next job I failed to put this fact on the security clearance application, but gave them HR number.
At the interview with the investigator I was told that company put official reason as I was fired for unsatisfactory performance.
After I put in writing that I never received official reason of separation I was granted initial clearance.
1,5 year later a new investigator from independent agency come back to the same issue and ask me to explain what happened. I could not find the right words in a short conversation to explain as the issues were not just in black and white and investigator made a conclusion that I told him that I left company on my own will. He never showed me this conclusion! (Later on I told the investigator why would I told that I left on my own will if I already knew by that time the reason company submitted to the government from the first investigation. Did not help). Reviewing this conclusion another investigator start questioning my honesty. I felt he was already predetermined and no matter what I was saying did not help. He was examining my whole biography under the microscope. Once. I even became to some degree impatient as he was asking the same questions again and again as if he wanted me to loose my patience and hitting my old scars from being wrongfully dismissed (that how I feel). He asked me again and again what I said what she said. My impatience to some degree probably contributed additionally to his actions. How dare I could question what is important and what is not - and he might be right. As a result my clearance was denied and after two years working for the agency I was dismissed immediately!
I requested from the agency official reason of denial but 5 months later no answer (they put me on computer and say they have a long line of similar requests)
I received a job offer from the company that has a contract with the agency that does not require clearance but just a trust position I85. This time I put everything in the application (the reason of dismissal exactly how I was told the company formulated it, although I personally never seen what they officially submitted to the government), but 1 month later I still can't start this job even manager of this company needs me badly.
This time investigator went around two issues: 1. My dismissal 2. Why my clearance was denied. I explained everything as much as I can but they are still not sure... They were asking for details - like what happened and when I start explaining honestly looks like they don't really want to know that...
Just wonder how effective this entire investigation process is, and what are my options. Don't want to ruin my carrier when I'm still young and my expertise in demand. I start thinking of myself as I did something wrong and I definitely made some mistakes as I’m not a lawyer and never been in this situation under such scrutiny and don’t know how to behave and what to say.
Appreciate honest advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">