• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ebay seller: Am I at fault for damage?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dionattan

I live in Canada, but I am a US citizen. I sold a computer to a buyer on Ebay in late August. From day one he was rather pushy, but i dealt with him anyway. My listing had pictures of the computer and I described it exactly as it was: in good condition, with signs of wear. He even wanted me to show pictues of the monitor actually turned on, which I complied and sent him some pics of that. I still have the e-mail where he replies and confirms the pictures.

When I mailed it to him it took almost two weeks for it to get to him, he is in Ohio. When it got to him, he e-mailed me almost two weeks later that the computer came to him damaged, but refused to tell me what was wrong with it over e-mail and instead filed a complaint against me with Paypal telling them that he was sold an item that was "not as described" and I read the condition of the computer on the complaint.

Paypal closed the complaint citing that I wasn't at fault. He ended up calling UPS and they told him that I needed to go to Mail Boxes Etc. where I shipped it from and ask for a refund. When I went to Mail Boxes Etc. they said they don't do refunds in case of damage, it's UPS that does that. They only refund shipping costs. They did a short investigation while I was there and they also believed that the item was damaged en route. They then said they would do a month long investigation into what happened to the computer. I relayed the message to him and he never replied back.

Two days ago, I get an e-mail from Paypal telling me that the buyer is trying to get his money back from Paypal, and has ordered a chargeback, which means he might be able to get a refund from Paypal, and I would have to then reimburse Paypal. They have put a hold on my account as they are investigating whether he has a legit claim. From what i've read from the Paypal policies he doesn't seem to, but I don't really know for sure.

My concern is that knowing how this guy is, if he does get denied a refund by Paypal, he will most likely take legal action against me, but I want to know, if I am really at fault for this or is UPS? And should I be suspicious that he took almost two weeks to notify me of damage? And what case do I have against him if I decide to countersue?

needadvice2962

listen, dont worry pay pal knows hes **** outta luck but its policy that if he causes a stink that they have to do an investigation. he will not take legal action because he shouldve inspected it when the shipper dropped it off and he should not have taken it. also he would have to go to your state to seek legal action and also pay 100 or so just to file a claim. plus he will not spend the money for a lawyer if he says he will tell him hes full of **** and to go **** himself. then if he still harasses you tell him you have a lawyer in the family and if he wants to talk have his lawyer talk to your lawyer

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">