• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unlawful Tag Alteration

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cohiba

Florida

I just got pulled over today because I was driving with an altered Temp tag. I am in the process of getting proper registration and tags. I was not arrested, but instead received a citation to appear in court.

What are my options here? Am I looking at a felony or misdeamenor? What kinda fine should I expect?

My previous driving record up until now is almost perfect.

CdwJava

You only got cited? We would have taken your plates and your car.

It's likely a misdemeanor.

What's the specific code number on the citation?

- Carl

cohiba

Temp tag (paper)...not plates.

CdwJava said:
You only got cited? We would have taken your plates and your car.

It's likely a misdemeanor.

What's the specific code number on the citation?

- Carl
Carl, thanks for the response. Not sure if you understood that the tag was a temporary tag...not a plate. They did take the temp tag..and I had to get my car towed to my house.

The "section" number on the citation is ..."320.061".
I have to appear in Traffic Court.

CdwJava

cohiba said:
Carl, thanks for the response. Not sure if you understood that the tag was a temporary tag...not a plate. They did take the temp tag..and I had to get my car towed to my house.

The "section" number on the citation is ..."320.061".
I have to appear in Traffic Court.
Ah! Okay ... in some states, people seem to use the term "tag" and "plate" as interchangeable terms. Out here, the "tag" (or "tab") is a little sticker on the license plate.

Here is your offense:

320.061 Unlawful to alter motor vehicle registration certificates, license plates, mobile home stickers, or validation stickers; penalty.--No person shall alter the original appearance of any registration license plate, mobile home sticker, validation sticker, or vehicle registration certificate issued for and assigned to any motor vehicle or mobile home, whether by mutilation, alteration, defacement, or change of color or in any other manner. Any person who violates the provisions of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

For that it appears you COULD face up to 60 days in jail and/or a fine of up to $500. I would seriously be surprised if you went to jail. A second degree misdemeanor seems to be the least of the criminal offenses in FL, and the fine amount is the same as for "noncriminal" violations.

- Carl

Great work CdwJava. Obviously dead on the money.

Poster, wanna see the inside of the pokey? Let that paper temporary tag be four months old. You might be tempted to "swap" tags from another vehicle.

Walk instead.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">