• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Towed from Apartments

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

heehaw00

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Texas

I recently visited a friend that lives in an apt. complex and after being there for 2 hours, walked outside to leave and saw my car was towed. When driving into the complex it says visitors must park in the visitor designated areas. As I drove around to find a place to park I saw another friend of mines car (who does not live here) parked and decided to park about 3 spots down where the open space was. When I went back the next day i noticied that the spots to the left of my truck had visitor writing on the ground, but was worn down to where you couldnt read it very well at night. My spot did not have the visitor writing therefore was towed.

What I am wondering is do I have a chance at getting my money back through a civil suit, saying that because the word "visitor" was not legible at night I was not able to know exactly where to park and assumed that this space was ok?

Thanks,
Josh

S

seniorjudge

"What I am wondering is do I have a chance at getting my money back through a civil suit, saying that because the word "visitor" was not legible at night I was not able to know exactly where to park and assumed that this space was ok?"

If you in fact parked in a tenant's spot and did not in fact park in a visitor's spot, then you do not have a case.

Actually a little more knowledge on this is needed. Yes you are in the wrong. BUT you may have a defense. First find out the laws for that particular area dictating how an area can be designated private parking and the size and height requirements for the sign. If they are following those laws suck it up. If not you may be able to recover the fees.

Just argued this to get my car back when it was towed from a lot because it was in a tenant section without a tenant permit. Since the sign clearly stated tenant parking only and I am in fact a tenant there and the sign did not state "tenant parking with permit only" I got my car back and no one was charged anything. Of course now the apartment management has been fixing all my 2 and 3 year old complaints really really fast. I wonder if they are scared?

Good luck and let us know. Oh and make sure of where you park in the future.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">