• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

husband in trouble in Iraq

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

winjobit77

What is the name of your state? La.
My husband was charged with stealing an extension chord to which he had a reciept for. The ppl doing court martial spoke to merchant who indeed confirmed that the reciept was his handwriting, but since the top of the receipt was torn, he could not come up with his copy. Husband was told he would not need a lawyer since he had the receipt. Well, as it turns out he was found guilty even though there were no witnesses AND a receipt that he had purchased it. he was sentenced to 30 days in jail and also loss of rank. I now have no contact and am wondering what i can do about appeals and things of that nature. This just seems absurd and i don't know where to go or what to do, and there is not a whole lot that husband can do from a jail in Kuwait. Someone PLEASE help us!

badapple40

This could have been a summary court martial, which would explain the fine and reduction in rank. In terms of appeals, all that can be done is an appeal to the convening authority, since the penalty/punishment isn't serious enough to warrant an appeal. He is entitled to counsel -- defense counsel, free of charge. I suggest he avails himself of that.

Alec_RA

Husband was told he would not need a lawyer since he had the receipt.
First and for most, please get all of the information no matter how embarrasing from your husband.

Starting with the above quote, the only way he would not have a lawyer is if he was NJP'd (non judicial punishment). Even those warrenting a summary court martial are given a military lawyer with the option of a civilian one as well. I am guessing here that your husband was an E5 or below maybe a corporal busted down to lance?

I hate to say it, but I do have to agree you may not be getting the full story, call his command and speak to the OIC and request all the info. Conversly if you fully believe you have 100% of the information, contact your congressman and have them do a "congripe" that will get everyones attention post haste.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">