• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fence issue in condo association

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jjcushard

What is the name of your state? Illinois

I live in a townhome community that is governed by condo association by laws and a board. Recently, my neighbor submitted and got plans approved by the board to build a fence on a small plot of land that is deeded to the neighbor. They have begun construction on the wrought iron fence.

The problem is that the fence makes it more difficult for me to access my single car garage. It may even restrict use of the garage by a bigger vehicle. I am concerned about it reducing the value of my home. It doesn't seem right that a cosmetic improvement for their home will increase the difficulty of using my garage and/or devalue my home.

Do you have any advice? Is this a case that could be successfully argued in court? Thank you from Chicago!!

HomeGuru

jjcushard said:
What is the name of your state? Illinois

I live in a townhome community that is governed by condo association by laws and a board. Recently, my neighbor submitted and got plans approved by the board to build a fence on a small plot of land that is deeded to the neighbor. They have begun construction on the wrought iron fence.

The problem is that the fence makes it more difficult for me to access my single car garage. It may even restrict use of the garage by a bigger vehicle. I am concerned about it reducing the value of my home. It doesn't seem right that a cosmetic improvement for their home will increase the difficulty of using my garage and/or devalue my home.

Do you have any advice? Is this a case that could be successfully argued in court? Thank you from Chicago!!
**A: present your issues in writing to the HOA and request a site inspection and fence plan review.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">