• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I need a waiver?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Brae

I am a Canadian citizen applying for a TN visa to work in the US. I have all the requirements (letter from employer, educational and professional experience) but I am concerned because I pleaded no contest to a misdemeanor grand theft (over $400) charge. My family lived in the US and the crime occurred when I was 19 years old. It was a violation of penal code 484/487.1 of California. My question is whether or not I need to submit a waiver which can take 2 to 3 months? This particular crime may involve moral turpitude, however, the maximum penalty possible for the crime did not exceed imprisonment for one year and, I was not sentenced to a term of imprisonment in excess of 6 months (I was required to perform community service).
Do you agree that I should not be denied a visa? Please advise.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">