• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongful termination, with perks, so to speak

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tammy1973

Illegal termination, with perks, so to speak

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

I believe that i was wrongfully terminated, and I do know that an employer can do that whenever they please. My question is this: A week before I was let go from the position, I was the assistant manager of a retail store. I had found out that the manager was taking items from the store, many things, without paying for them. She had told me on two seperate occasions, that i could take stuff home too, that it was no big deal. WRONG! It is a big deal, its theft! While i was getting reprimanded from the district manager for things that the manager was making up, I asked him the policy on that whole issue. He agreed with me that it was theft, and he would look into it with her. I walked out of the office, she walked in. A few minutes later, he called me back in. She denied that she took them, said that she had paid for the items. And he told me, in front of her, that he stands behind his managers. Ok, I let it go. The next day, I found out from another co-worker, that the manager had been sending things home with her as well as other employees. I told her how wrong this all was...and then we contacted the employee hotline and reported all of it. They have done nothing about it....and its still happening. Later that next week, I was let go for giving too many discounts in one day. Yes, I know that they can let me go for whatever they want. All I want, is for her to get in trouble for everything that is walking out the door, unpaid for....
I must add that since this woman took over the managers position, she fjired a girl in april, me in august, let a yougn girl go last month, and basically made another girl walk out two weeks ago...said that she was sexually harrassing another employees husband. which never, ever occured. this other employess husband, cannot work there, but is there everyday, doing things...hes a known drug dealer, gang-banger the works. so now this other girl is out of a job....
Any advice anyone????

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You cannot force the store to discipline her. It is NOT up to you to decide if or how the store manages their employees.

You may have been unfairly terminated, but legally you were not wrongfully terminated.

su_ever123

I think 'Wrongful Termination' is a misleading phrase, (somewhat like "this TV show is 'Graphic' in nature") it should be replaced by 'Illegal Termination' or 'Unlawful Termination'. That will help us realize that nothing could be wrong out here!!

Tammy1973

ok, cbg....so youre saying that if you were to work in a retail setting, and find out that your boss is stealing..you would just let it go? Let all that merchandise simply walk outta the door? Hmm, guess you dont have morals. I really dont care how she runs the store, I simply believe that stealing from your employer is wrong, and then to basically have the DM stand behind her...that gives you reason to believe that stealing is totally tolerated by the company. Obviously some people have issues with right and wrong in this world.

Katy W.

Excuse me?

Well Tammy, now that you're unemployed, you can hang out at the local KMart and see if you can catch some shoplifters, too. You can fight crime all over. Maybe Spiderman needs a sidekick.

Your attack on CBJ is completely unwarranted He said that YOU have no control over this situation. DO you have control over what the company does to your ex-boss? Of course you don't. Your remark about morals is distasteful and illogical.

Since you feel strongly about this being illegal, (which no one is disagreeing with), why haven't you called the police and filed a report?

ok, cbg....so youre saying that if you were to work in a retail setting, and find out that your boss is stealing..you would just let it go? Let all that merchandise simply walk outta the door? Hmm, guess you dont have morals. I really dont care how she runs the store, I simply believe that stealing from your employer is wrong, and then to basically have the DM stand behind her...that gives you reason to believe that stealing is totally tolerated by the company. Obviously some people have issues with right and wrong in this world.
I work in retail, I have for more than a few years. A few of those years were as a Supervisor. I don't think that's what cbg is saying at all("just let it go"), and you overreacted a bit. You did your part by reporting it to your manager and to headquarters via the hotline. It will catch up to her, and anyone else who is stealing - it's only a matter of time. The best you can do is move on and try to forget it(and yet still learn from it). Good luck.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, that is not at all what I'm saying. What I'm saying is (first) it is not up to you to decide what the employer is going to do about the thieving employee.

All I want, is for her to get in trouble for everything that is walking out the door, unpaid for....

That is NOT your perogative to decide. You do NOT get to tell the employer how to manage their employees. It is NOT your decision whether she gets in trouble or not.

(second) The term, wrongful termination, has a specific meaning in law. Under that definition, you were not wrongfully terminated. I'm not saying it was fair, I'm not saying it was right, I'm not saying the store handled it properly. I'm saying that under the law, you were not wrongfully terminated and you do not have any legal recourse over being fired.

You are at liberty to take any measures you choose to report the thefts to the appropriate outside agency. P.S. If you had done that, if you had reported the thefts to the police and had been fired because of that report, THEN you would have had a legal case for wrongful termination. But in the majority of states, internal reports do not provide you with any protection.

Don't shoot the messenger. I don't make the law, and I don't always approve of the way the law is applied. I'm only telling you what the law says.

opticsgrl

Tammy:
Unfotunately, I've learned that companies don't always think like us lil pee-ons out there! After I let my home office know that my manager was stealing company time, they did nothing. And my manager was told of my ratting her out.I take it personally because it affects me as in, fewer raises for ME because of wasted money.
But, CBG is absolutely right, if the bigwigs do nothing it's outta your hands. Only thing I can do is leave the company-I don't wanna, but I gotta-and I have decided to leave at a VERY inopportune time for the company. Since noone could back me up it will be very satisfying to me to hand in my 2 weeks notice within a week of said manager leaving on maternity leave and the store will be mighty shorthanded.
Good luck to you : )

Tammy1973

thanks to all of you for your replies. I realize that I may have barked a little too loudly at some of you. But, I am just so damn angry at the place. You dont understand this Manager. She is a supposed "GOD" person. She once told me that she didnt tolerate thieves. Well, why did she become one then? I know that I dont have any control over what she does, or what the company does to her. But since I have been gone from this place and the things that continue to happen, and nothing happens to her, it just makes me even more angrier. And to top it off, her kids ride the same bus as mine, so they pick on my son alot. Ive gone to the principal already and they are on top of it...but those kids being in middle school, and mine in elem.
It just makes me angry that when I'm on the right track to letting it go...they have to start it all up again. They just cant let it go. Ive thought of confronting the Manager and telling her that this is enough. LEt it go! But is it even worth it? Will she listen? I doubt it. She seems to think that she is invincible due to having this "thug" hang around her. Little does she know that there is a hit out on the guy...the hit goes thru, it could happen within her small childrens view. Ive told her from the get go, that this guy is bad news, thats why no one in this city likes or deals with him. He was just recently put in the local clink for shooting a gun around people in the air. She doesnt realize that this will all catch up with her in the end...and I will be smiling, laughing and dancing in her face when it does. And when she loses everything...then I will be happy. I know that, that may be wrong of me to think that, but what comes around goes around. She got rid of me, because I knew too much. Well, she'll get what she deserves soon. And until then, I will be watching!

Shay-Pari'e

(QUOTE)She seems to think that she is invincible due to having this "thug" hang around her. Little does she know that there is a hit out on the guy...the hit goes thru, it could happen within her small childrens view. (QUOTE)

There is way more to this story. So you didn't report the theft to the police, and you know of a "HIT" on her life and obviously did not report it? I wonder if you realize what this forum is for.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">