• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being taken advantage of by employer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AJChi31

What is the name of your state? Illinois
I am a bartender at Ohare international Airport. I have been with my current company since September of 2003. I have been expected to do the same duties for the last 15 months. The duties that I was told I would do when I got hired. 15 months and not a problem. Things have changed dramatically in the last month. My title as a bartender has changed. The only title I was aware I would be. As a bartender I depend on tips to make ends meet. Recently my employer decided he would like to sell more than just beverages. He added a section to the bar where walk up airport customers can purchase items such as Sandwiches, Bananas, Oranges, apples, yogurt, and other items that can also be purchased at a local convenient store. I ring up these items through out the day. In other words I am a cashier now. I do not expect to get tipped on these items.(I never do) My employer aware that it is a bar and I am a bartender, does not seem to care too much. The time it takes to ring up the items is time taken away from taking care of my customers. In return my customers tip less, significantly less. I was not aware of the changes until the day I sold my first sandwich. I am taking home less pay for more work. On a side note we have 8 bartenders employed by the company and only half have to endure this handicap at work. Is that illegal in any way? Who can I call about this? What are my rights? Is this a good cause for voluntarily quit? Any response would be appreciated.

BelizeBreeze

AJChi31 said:
Is that illegal in any way? Who can I call about this? What are my rights? Is this a good cause for voluntarily quit? Any response would be appreciated.
Is it illegal? NO

Who can I call about this? Oprah.

What are my rights? Find a different job.

Is this good cause for voluntary quit? Sure, but if you're asking will you receive Unemployment the answer is probably not.

Any response would be appreciated.
Then either learn that you have a job to do and if you don't like it you can quit and find another job or continue complaining because you have no legal problem.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
As long as you are not being asked to do anything that violates the law or is unsafe by OSHA standards, your employer may alter or amend your duties in any way, shape or form that they choose.

I echo Belieze:

Is that illegal in any way? No, not even remotely based on what is in your post.

Who can I call about this? Anyone you choose. But no regulatory agency is going to say anything but, "Thank you for calling. Next!"

What are my rights? You have far too many rights to be listed here. However, none of them are being violated based on your post.

Is this a good cause for voluntarily quit? For unemployment purposes? Not even close.

AJChi31

Thank you for your replies. Please don't mind my bewilderment on the matter. I am a 22 y/o college student working the only bartending job I have ever had. I guess I got too much in my comfort zone and have not attempted to ameliorate myself (work wise) since I took the job. This came out of left field, and reality is kicking in how this is truly a dog eat dog world. I have just had the expierence of having a very perfidious employer. I will get over it. Good holidays to you all. AJ

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">