• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are my Rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rockycopper

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

Oregon

I have recently come under investigation for integrity issues and inappropriate conduct due to allegations submitted by another member of the management staff.

He has alleged that I am engaged in an inappropriate relationship with his ex-wife who is also a manager within the facility.

Company policy does not allow someone in my position to have a dating or romantic relationship with anyone within the facility.

The relationship is strictly professional and we do have a personal (non-sexual) relationship outside of work.

I have been directed to eliminate all non-work related contact with the ex-wife.

The management staff has obtained copies of our personal cell phone records without either of our consent. The only way they could have received these copies is by using personal information, e.g., social security numbers.

In addition to having friends of the ex-husband follow me through town, they have driven past my home and on one occasion one individual stopped at my home and threatened me with physical violence. This was reported to the local police department.

The General and Assistant General Manager called in another associate, with whom I socialize outside of work, and told her that if she did not provide a statement she could lose her job.

Can the company dictate who I can and cannot speak with during my off-duty hours?

The relationship with the ex-wife has neither been a dating or romantic relationship.

The ex-husband has made similar allegations in the past regarding his ex-wife and other associates. However, they were not investigated with the vigor that this investigation has taken.

I believe that this investigation is a direct result of my formal complaint against the AGM for his involvement in an EEO violation.

I have been called in from vacation and fully expect one of two things to happen: 1) receive disciplinary action; or 2) termination.

Should either of the two occur, what are my legal rights?

I don't see that anything illegal has occurred, even if you are subjected to disciplinary action or terminated.

The fact that they are mistaken about your relationship with your coworker is irrelevant. They have required that you have no outside contact with a coworker of yours...they can do that. Many companies have nonfraternization policies prohibiting or severely limiting the contact coworkers have with each other outside the workplace. Such policies are perfectly legal.

As for the threats, I wasn't clear on who was threatening you or why, but you went to the police, which is the correct thing to do.

As for the cellphone records, I do not know enoughabout cellphone regulations to comment on that. If the phones are provided by the company, they are free to look at the records all they want.

BelizeBreeze

I have been called in from vacation and fully expect one of two things to happen: 1) receive disciplinary action; or 2) termination.
Contact an employment law attorney and take him/her with you to this 'summons'.

Beth3

Contact an employment law attorney and take him/her with you to this 'summons'. Under the circumstances, a good idea however the employer almost certainly will not allow the poster to bring an attorney or any other member of the public onto their premesis and into this meeting.

Rocky, nothing your employer is doing is prohibited unless it's in retaliation for "opposing discrimination in the workplace" - i.e. your complaint regarding the EEO violation you refer to. It's not clear what that situation is all about (whether you were discriminated against in some fashion or it involved someone else) but on that score, it sounds like you'd be well advised to consult with an employment law attorney.

nohr4u1yr

bad investigation

Let me know if I have this straight...

1. ex-husband files a complaint that you are seeing his ex-wife on a romantic.
2. you are brought in telling you to cease all contact.
3. other emplpyees are brought in to give a statement
4. ex-husbands friends are stalking you and making physical threats
5. you are being called in from your approved vacation

hmmm... sounds to me like they are providing you with a hostile work envirornment. (as well as the co-worker they demanded a statement from "or else") Did they interview you? Did they interview the ex-wife? Is so, what was the outcome? Was is the HR department doing the investigation? I totally disagree with the others stating that they can legally tell you who you can see on a social level outside the work place. I'm sure you have gone out with others manager's/co-workers let say for a drink after work - b-day party, etc.?

It sounds to be like the ex-husband is a control freak and his ex-wife left for a reason... Please answer my questions above - I will try to provide you with more information.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
sounds to me like they are providing you with a hostile work envirornment.

Not unless this has a direct tie-in to the EEOC complaint. A hostile work environment does not exist under the law unless the employee is being subjected to either sexual harassment or illegal discrimination/harassment/retaliation under Title VII.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">