• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding after hours in school zone

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

spykimike13

I was riding through a school zone in North Carolina at 3:20, which is after school hours at this school (it lets out at 2 pm). The road is a 55 and I was clocked at 48 by the officer who pulled me over. He seemed to think that over an hour after the kids leave the school is school hours. He also thought that the school zone speed limit was 25 all the time, when it was clearly posted as 35 DURING SCHOOL HOURS. This and one other speeding ticket which I got within 24 hours of this one is the first one I've ever gotten. So I'm not sure, but I can handle this in the court myself right? I know it is kind of harsh for speeding in a school zone. But I shouldn't need a lawyer right? Also is it possible to go after this ignorant cop who was obviously just pulling over anybody to give out more tickets? You're help is greatly appreciated.
Mike

cjoeb

check this link http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/Statutes/GeneralStatutes/HTML/BySection/Chapter_20/GS_20-141.1.html

is this the statute you violated? if so, read what it says....was there a sign posting the hours of the school zone?? were there flashing lights? just because a road goes past a school and a school zone sign is there doesnt mean its a school zone. it is a school zone only if the signage meets the state requirements for a school zone
i would first find out what the hours of the school zone are and confirm with the school.
plead not guilty and get a trial date. when your cross examine the cop, get him to admit the speed limit is 25.....more importantly, get him to say that he has actually seen the 25 mph sign. confirm with him that he is not mistaken, etc.....then produce the picture showing the 35 mph.
catching a cop commiting perjury is always good for your case. it goes to show that he is not a very credible witness.

what was your other ticket for?

spykimike13

Ok about the school zone, there's just a sign, no flashing lights or anything, and it says 35 during school hours. As for the purgery idea, I blew that away when I was trying to get out of him writing the ticket in the first place. But about my other ticket, I was coming home from work one night and I was doing 75 in a 55 when a state trooper pulled me over. From what I'm hearing I deffinitely need a lawyer on this one...I dont want my insurance to go up, I can't afford 3 years of that...If you've got any advice on that it would be greatly appreciated...like how to find the right lawyer. Thanks
Mike

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">