• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Confused

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Carbabar

What is the name of your state? NY State

Hello, I have heard over and over here in NY that if you get a ticket you should look it over very carefully as a mistake could make get it dismissed. So I got a ticket a couple of weeks ago for going through a, lets say, organge light.....
not quite yellow but not blazen red. It was wet, I did want to slam on the brakes...anyway. My last name is Friedman and the officer put Fried??? Can I get the ticket dismissed. The offense was in a town on long island. So it is not a nassau county court I deal with regarding the matter, I have to appear at this stupid little Kensington Village (in Great Neck) court to answer the violation.

JETX

Last edited:

HomeGuru

Carbabar said:
What is the name of your state? NY State

So I got a ticket a couple of weeks ago for going through a, lets say, organge light.....
not quite yellow but not blazen red.

**A: wow, in my county, the traffic light colors are only 3; red, yellow and green.

qcxlvr1

No, that is not a reason to have the summons dismissed.

You were probably issued a summons for VTL 1111-(D)1, passed steady red TSL. Lights are not orange, they are either red, amber or green. Furthermore, you can not be issued a summons for passing an amber light in New York. So clearly the officer perceived you to pass a red light.

I would advise you plead not guilty and speak with the village prosecutor. I am sure you can have it reduced to a parking violation like parked on pavement, as Kensington probably is only interested in the money.

Carbabar

I hate great neck

OK OK we all know I meant orange.... anyway ok so I admit it was more on the red side. Either way, I thought the difference between Friedman and Fried was pretty major but I guess not. It was not a minor typo so to say, it is different last name entirely. I know that this stinky little town only wants money and I am sure the best bet, as the last post advised, is that I meet with the prosecutor and plea bargain. Thanks : )

rmet4nzkx

Carbabar said:
OK OK we all know I meant orange.... anyway ok so I admit it was more on the red side. Either way, I thought the difference between Friedman and Fried was pretty major but I guess not. It was not a minor typo so to say, it is different last name entirely. I know that this stinky little town only wants money and I am sure the best bet, as the last post advised, is that I meet with the prosecutor and plea bargain. Thanks : )
You ran a red light, no orange about it. Maybe you caught the officer in a good mood and it was a play on words, because your a$$ was fried? :confused:

JETX

Carbabar said:
I know that this stinky little town only wants money and I am sure the best bet, as the last post advised, is that I meet with the prosecutor and plea bargain.
Bottom line, state laws say that if you enter the intersection on a red light, you are in violation. Your post admits you were in violation. Seems pretty clear to me.
NY Vehicle and Traffic Law:
S 1111. Traffic-control signal indications. Whenever traffic is controlled by traffic-control signals, other than lane direction control signal indications provided in section eleven hundred sixteen, exhibiting different colored lights, or colored lighted arrows, successively, one at a time or in combination, only the colors green, yellow and red shall be used, and said lights shall indicate and apply to drivers of vehicles and to pedestrians as follows:
<Snip>
(d) Red indications:
1. Traffic, except pedestrians, facing a steady circular red signal, unless to make such other movement as is permitted by other indications shown at the same time, shall stop at a clearly marked stop line, but if none, then shall stop before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection, or in the event there is no crosswalk, at the point nearest the intersecting roadway where the driver has a view of the approaching traffic on the intersecting roadway before entering the intersection and shall remain standing until an indication to proceed is shown except as provided in paragraph two of this subdivision.

Carbabar

well then I think I should be able to plead PMS. There is proven scientific fact that there is a disconnection that happens between the frontal lobe of the brain which is where all reason and logic comes from therefore your actions and reactions all emerge from deep within the back part of your brain where all your emotional responses stem from. It is also a proven fact that women's perception is off..seriously I walk into walls around that time, and I am a gymnast so that should be a perfect example of how powerful hormones are seeing as I would generally be considered gifted in terms of coordination. And THAT is my case, to all the smart ass men out there who think they know it all :p I wonder if any other women have ever used PMS as their defense for running a light ??????? I was in such an emotional state that the nuts I had next to me in which I was munching were tempting to fling at the officer one by one... that is how much I just did not like his self righteous little smug face, almond by almond I just wanted to throw at his head while he rambled on, fling, fling. However I felt I was pushing it as I had already gone hysterical female on his a$$ when I yelled at him after he decided to tell me getting the ticket was "not such a big deal". They should teach them during their training that trying to tell a PMSing woman how she should feel is NOTTTTT a good idea and that all reason does not exist in our world in that state of mind. OK there I vented now I am fine :)

Last edited:
I wonder if any other women have ever used PMS as their defense for running a light ???????
LMAO - :eek:

was in such an emotional state that the nuts I had next to me in which I was munching were tempting to fling at the officer one by one... that is how much I just did not like his self righteous little smug face, almond by almond I just wanted to throw at his head while he rambled on, fling, fling. However I felt I was pushing it as I had already gone hysterical female on his a$$ when I yelled at him after he decided to tell me getting the ticket was "not such a big deal". They should teach them during their training that trying to tell a PMSing woman how she should feel is NOTTTTT a good idea and the all reason does not in our world at in that state of mind. OK there I vented now I am fine
PMS or insanity plea? ;)

Carbabar

he he :)

same difference, pms leads to insanity, at least temporarily, as I am sure any woman (or man who has witnessed the phenomenon) can attest to this truth. If I walk into walls when normally I can flip on a 4 inch wide balance beam, then SURLEY my reaction time where the signal from my brain telling my foot to hit the brake after it registers that light is about to turn red must be way off! Hmmm I could really have a case with this...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">