• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Previous Suspension In Another State (long)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? California - although Situation happened in NY.

I moved to California from NY two years ago. I have just recently purchased my first car here in California, and ran into a small snag when obtaining insurance for my vehicle. When the broker ran my CA License, it showed a suspension from NY from 2000-2002.

Now, I had a suspension in 1997 when I had my very first car. When my 6 month term on my insurance policy was up, instead of renewing with the company I was using, I decided to go with a more affordable company.

Nearly year later, I'm driving on the thruway to visit a friend downstate, and I get pulled over by a state trooper, who tells me my Registration comes up as suspended for insurance lapse. I told him that I had insurance, and showed him the proof, not realizing there was an issue with the DMV thinking I just never got new insurance when I switched carriers.

He ran my license at this time, and never told me there was a license suspension.

He was a nice guy, and instead of impounding my car, followed me over an hour back home so I'd get there without being pulled over again but said he had to give me a ticket, and at the very least, so I would fix my registration and take care of the whole issue.

So, I take the bus for a week, until I can fix my registration suspension and get my car back on the road and when I get to the DMV, I find out that my license is suspended due to the registration suspension and failure to fix it. Argh. So I had to pay a large fine for that as well on top of the registration :(

My court date is 8 months from the day he pulled me over. :eek:

Anyway, I end up going to court, bring my all my proof and the judge finds in my favor and tells me to be more dilligent in the future, because I can't count on anyone but myself to make sure the things in my life are done right, my fines refunded to me, and was told that these would be removed from my record as it was a DMV error, and not mine.

And all was well until my car died, after which I took the bus and then moved to California! :D

So... why is this showing up as a suspension in 2000? And did I misunderstand the judge in NY when he said the record that it had been suspended would be removed from my license?

It is impossible for me to have a suspension from 2000 - 2002. My car was wonderful (and completely legal - never left that second insurance company, and had a wonderful relationship with them til my conked out and I wasn't with them anymore) up until February of 2001, after which it died a painful engine death, and I turned in the plates, informed the insurance company, and went on my merry, carless way until this week.

The ONLY thing I did involving my license was replace it in the summer of 2002 when someone stole my wallet and I went to the DMV to pay for a new one the next day.

Should I contact the DMV, the county my court was in, etc? I know this is going to be a pain since I am in California, but I plan on taking what steps I can over the phone on Monday.

I was just curious if anyone had a similar expierence, or knowledge on what I should do.

S

seniorjudge

You definitely need to contact the licensing authority in the state you left.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">