• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Info ASAP

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

skyward

North Carolina

I am a trainee in AIT home on Christmas Exodus. I have only been in the Army since September and I want out. The commanders at AIT have only been bullying me around and not letting me out, not allowing me to even speak, reading recommendations from doctors, etc.

I have been talking to GI Rights, a military lawyer and an AWOL individual through email...I don't want to go back. I just had several questions...

My basic plan right now is to NOT return from Christmas leave and wait until I'm DFR'd then wait several weeks or months and turn myself in at Ft. Sill in order to be discharged. I just want out...and I understand I'm most likely looking at an OTH discharge...

Can anyone please help me in understanding how exactly an OTH discharge affects you in the civilian world (specifics -- job, insurance, banks, stuff) and if they would even THINK about not discharging me when I turn myself in and just sending me back to my unit (I know I still have CIF issue signed out).

I have more questions so if you could possible get in touch with me, those individuals who have information/experience. Thank you so much...

Merry Christmas

Last edited by a moderator:

rmet4nzkx

As the mother of Marine and Army vets, with one currently in Mosul and served in Bosnia, I have to ask Why would you join the Army when this counrty is at war and not even through your training and you want out. What is your reason? No one can tell you exactly how a OTH discharge will affect you because it will all depend on your circumstances, if you are eligible for it. Please provide more details Are you seeking a medical discharge, if so, for what reason?

skyward

I went to my command seeking an ELS (Ch 11) and they laughed stating that THEY would in fact be laughed at by the Bn CO; then was recommended for Ch 5-17 (Personality Disorder/Mental) and they refused. I'm diagnosed with severe depression and pretty much a Failure to Adapt (even though on paper my company CO said it looks like I'm a "better-than-perfect soldier"). They refused to chapter/discharge me out according to FTA purposes as well.

I joined because I want to help better myself and felt like I wanted to contribute. Another huge reason was because I felt led by God, but I see now that it was foolish pride and a selfish want instead. The psychologist that has been seeing me said there is no way I should be kept in. Basically I don't eat, and if I do it's hard to keep it down...no sleep, focus, motivation. Mood swings and inability to function as a human, let alone a squared-away soldier.

I asked to be reclassed due to the fact that maybe a change in locale, or a job I actually WANTED to do would help but that request was shot down with the "good soldier on paper" comment -- that it would be stupid to give away someone like me to another MOS. I don't understand the garbage they are pulling because while denying my requests for discharge/separation/reclassification they have been putting in paperwork to recycle me to another training company just starting up after we go back. My senior instructor said it was complete and utter bullsh*t because they are just pushing my personal issues and paperwork onto another company and it's cadre/command.

Basically I just want to know in what ways can an OTH discharge do to someone like me when I go into the job field and start applying, or asking my bank for a loan/mortgage, insurance on car/life/house/health, etc...

There are so many more personal problems and I don't really want to go into too much detail about family problems or those issues because honestly it tears me up to even think about it, let alone to be 2000 miles away from home and the ability to help here...

kirika

As someone who has seen many people leave the army in many different ways while in the misfit company...

First of all---GO BACK. Getting a OTH will screw you over for the REST OF YOUR LIFE. No one will hire you, for starters. I have a General, which isn't technically supposed to be bad, but it's still prevented me from doing several things that I have wanted to do.

Your best option for getting out is to go for a Chapter 13--Failure to meet PT and/or Weight standards. In training, you won't get a fat discharge, but if you suddenly can't seem to do all those situps, pushups, and running (especially after being lazy all Exodus), you won't graduate your course, and will be kicked out. It may take awhile, but it's the way that looks best in 5 years. Unless you're female and get pregnant--if you're in training, most posts require you to be kicked out. Also, try to fight the 5-17, because that will also haunt you. Don't go for the medical unless you have something wrong with your body (ie multiple stress fractures, or torn muscles), because they'll still try and push you towards the 5-17.

BUT ANYTHING IS BETTER THAN AWOL.

rmet4nzkx

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

You MUST be psychologically impaired. To have signed up for the service while Bush is President, you're just a whacko!

IAAL
Remember OP is claiming to have a personality disorder, lol, crazy like a fox.

If they got a preenlistment bonus, that will have to be paid back and while a OTH discharge would be the normal discharge for desertion, I believe that other standards apply to desertion during time of war, so the consequences would be much more severe.

If they don't plan on returning after Christmas leave then turn themselves into a VA hospital.

csporluck

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

You MUST be psychologically impaired. To have signed up for the service while Bush is President, you're just a whacko!

IAAL
Yep, have to agree with you there...

At least Clinton never sent me to Iraq.

After reading the rest or your replys- it seems to me that you are trying to put the reason you dont want to be in the army on emotional issues- grow up- you messed up by enlisting-now do your time- just like a criminal who gets caught they have to do ther time to- and just becasue you go awol doesnt mean that they will discharge you-

You just seem to me to be a little mommas boy who must not have realized that the military is for real- grow up- you raised you hand you signed the papers- you chose the job-2000 miles oh no-- i have a daughter that i didnt get to see for a year and a half- Might as well just go and say that your gay- that would be your best bet- get your slef a video camera go find some gay guy- suck him off and get it on camera then take tha tape to you CO and tell him your gay- not like anyones going to think any less of you- then they probably already do-

csporluck

Nothing wrong with realizing you made a serious mistake. Nothing wrong with NOT wanting to go to War. The Army Recruiters are known for being a little less scrupless. You CAN get out under an Adminstrative Discharge so long as it's within 180 days of enlistment. Not being in DEP, but actual shipping out. I've seen this done by many folks, though having been Air Force it rarely happens in my old branch. Depending on the political situation in your state (e.i. Who your Congressmen are), look into contacting their office. Tell them, if it is the truth, that the Army Recruiters in your hometown AND up at the MEPS bullied you into going, and that the army won't let you go, that you've been only so long... Congressmen DO have lots of sway with the military... it can get you out under an adminstrative discharge...

Now to those parents or others who badger the poor lad for making a poor decision... Just because YOUR kid is in Iraq or some God-Awful place, doesn't mean this one has to. YOU AREN'T there. It ISN'T YOUR ASS. Most of these guys in the Army were lied to by their recruiters, and didn't know they could get out within the first 180 days, until they were in.

Unless it's YOUR ASS going to Iraq, Shut the hell up. I see thousands of these people head up north every day. None want to go. Few believe in this war. And most would support this chap in trying to get out before he was legally committed for life, or if he's lucky 8 years.

rmet4nzkx

csporluck said:
Nothing wrong with realizing you made a serious mistake. Nothing wrong with NOT wanting to go to War. The Army Recruiters are known for being a little less scrupless. You CAN get out under an Adminstrative Discharge so long as it's within 180 days of enlistment. Not being in DEP, but actual shipping out. I've seen this done by many folks, though having been Air Force it rarely happens in my old branch. Depending on the political situation in your state (e.i. Who your Congressmen are), look into contacting their office. Tell them, if it is the truth, that the Army Recruiters in your hometown AND up at the MEPS bullied you into going, and that the army won't let you go, that you've been only so long... Congressmen DO have lots of sway with the military... it can get you out under an adminstrative discharge...

Now to those parents or others who badger the poor lad for making a poor decision... Just because YOUR kid is in Iraq or some God-Awful place, doesn't mean this one has to. YOU AREN'T there. It ISN'T YOUR ASS. Most of these guys in the Army were lied to by their recruiters, and didn't know they could get out within the first 180 days, until they were in.

Unless it's YOUR ASS going to Iraq, Shut the hell up. I see thousands of these people head up north every day. None want to go. Few believe in this war. And most would support this chap in trying to get out before he was legally committed for life, or if he's lucky 8 years.
How dare you discount my son being in Iraq, even OP doesn't do that and I told them how they could get out if they have a legitimate personality disorder and have not got out while in basic, to turn themselves into a VA hospital while out on Christmas break. So don't give me a hard time!

You apparently didn't read OP's post too carefully, because they already knew about ELS and had tried to get it already and told they were not eligible. "I went to my command seeking an ELS (Ch 11) and they laughed stating that THEY would in fact be laughed at by the Bn CO; then was recommended for Ch 5-17 (Personality Disorder/Mental) and they refused. I'm diagnosed with severe depression and pretty much a Failure to Adapt (even though on paper my company CO said it looks like I'm a "better-than-perfect soldier"). They refused to chapter/discharge me out according to FTA purposes as well." If they have certain personality disorders they may get their medical discharge because they would be unfit for service anyway, other personality disorders may make fine soldiers. IN some cases, with personality disorders, it may have been the recruiter not the recruiter who lies.

badapple40

I like the failing the PT test route the best. If you don't show back up, given today's recruiting issues and the effect of not nailing your rear end to the wall will have on continued soldier retention, they WILL court-martial you. You WILL do time in jail. You WILL end up with a bad conduct discharge (or a dishonorable one).

My suggestion is to continue to document the medical issues, and, like the poster said, start failing PT tests.

oobay77

rmet4nzkx, I can see that at times you offer some valid assistance, yet for the most part you plaster your opinions all over this site. I find that fiestiness admirable yet feel compelled to remind you this is a forum for legal advice. Although we are all entitled to our personal takes on the shared scenarios, I think it's detrimental to pass judgement on those seeking help. It also makes one appear foolish to preach with such redundancy but to not have the personal experiences form which to drawn these sermons from. Kudos again to your children for their service, nobody is discounting their sacrifice or commitment. I have to ask though, what branch did YOU serve in?

rmet4nzkx

I do offer valid advice, it is not always what the person wants to hear. Sometime it is not what is popular to give out, such as one about using the SSCRA to assist the spouse with a paternity case and out of country move, it was not popular but it was a valid option, I gave that advice because I give unbiased advice when ever possible. Many people here promote their own agendas and will give very compelling but wrong advice.

You have 7 posts thus far I have over 4K posts, if I am not giving appropriate advise, that is brought to my attention.

In this specific case OP is claiming psychological disability, mental health and neuroscience is MY field, I gave valid advice about how to get a medical discharge if they have failed before, they have a better chance getting it through the VA than back at their post, and it doesn't hurt to try.

I worked for the USAF at age 16 as a civilian, I could not enlist because of a deformed elbow from an accident, but I have served the public in other ways and thoudands of hours of pro bono work.

As to being judgemental, OP joined the Army during time of war, hello :confused: what usually happens when you join the Army? I was not the only one to make the observation that OP made an informed choice, boot camp has never been pleasant or easy.

Thank you for recognizing my children's military service.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">