• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Job Offer Withdrawn

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Breach1

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I was verbally offered an executive level position in another state (Virginia) which I accepted. I received a copy of the offer the following day via email and a hard copy via courier. A few hours later, I receive a call from my future boss stating that he needs to withdraw the offer for reasons he could not get into but that it had nothing to do with me, my credentials or references. This was followed up by an email stating the same and a hard copy delivered by courier the following day. All due diligence had been completed by the company and the headhunter with glowing results prior to presentation of the offer. My future boss further stated that he would need 2-4 weeks to give me answer. I received word that the decision was not to move ahead with the position due to the "current business climate." I was again reassured that the decision had nothing to do with me.

First question: What is my recourse? Is this breach of contract?

Second question: During the course of the interview, I shared my expertise to address a specific problem that was presented. I stated what I would do if hired to address this problem. My future boss was so impressed by the recommendation that he stated he would want to implement this right away. Can this be considered intellectual property of sorts? How do I keep them from using it now that the offer has been withdrawn?

Thanks for any guidance you may be able to provide.

BelizeBreeze

What is my recourse?
None.

Is this breach of contract?
Without reading the offer sheet how do you expect an answer? I will tell you however, that without a contract, how do you expect to prevail in a breach action?

Second question: During the course of the interview, I shared my expertise to address a specific problem that was presented. I stated what I would do if hired to address this problem. My future boss was so impressed by the recommendation that he stated he would want to implement this right away. Can this be considered intellectual property of sorts? How do I keep them from using it now that the offer has been withdrawn?
No. It was a freebee. Next time during the interview talk about what you HAVE done, not what you WILL do .

Breach1

Thanks for the response.

So an offer being extended by one party and accepted by another party does not form a contract? Just looking for clarification as this contradicts what I have read elsewhere.

As for the second part of my question, I was speaking about what I did elsewhere and was bringing to the table to this new employer. Does this change anything?

HomeGuru

Breach1 said:
Thanks for the response.

So an offer being extended by one party and accepted by another party does not form a contract? Just looking for clarification as this contradicts what I have read elsewhere.

**A: there was an offer, which was reneged a few hours later. Thus the offer was terminated.

As for the second part of my question, I was speaking about what I did elsewhere and was bringing to the table to this new employer. Does this change anything?
**A: no, it does not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">