• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reckless Driving in VA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ZeroCool000

Hi all,

I live an MD and was driving home from a friend's house in Fairfax, VA on xmas morning at 4:30 AM. I was doing 93/65 on the beltway (I-495) and was charged with reckless driving. The case should appear before a judge at Fairfax County Court in late Feb. This is my first ticket ever and have never been involved in any accedints so my driving record is clean.

I know that reckless driving is a criminal offense in VA and I should take it seriously. But I would like to know if any of you have been in a similar situation in Fairfax, VA? Did you get a lawyer or did you just plead guilty? If you hired a lawer which one would you recommend and how much did it cost you?

I am really worried and would really appreciate any help you guys can provide.

rmet4nzkx

It's going to cost you one way or the other but definately an attorney will help in this situation, little argument that you were not driving too fast and VA is famous for this charge.

ZeroCool000

Thank you guys for replying

thanks guys for replying on xmas day. I did check the links that Robbie0723 posted and found some useful information there (thanks Robbie) but I am still waiting to see if some one had a similar experiance in Fairfax because I would like to know:

1. which lawyer one would recommend?
2. how much did the lawyer cost?
3. how much was the total cost?
4. what was the argument of the lawyer or did he plee bargin?
5. If my license was suspended in VA can I still drive in my home state (MD) and elsewhere?
6. did you ever hear about one getting jail time for a first offense?

I am really worried guys.

rmet4nzkx

ZeroCool000 said:
thanks guys for replying on xmas day. I did check the links that Robbie0723 posted and found some useful information there (thanks Robbie) but I am still waiting to see if some one had a similar experiance in Fairfax because I would like to know:

1. which lawyer one would recommend? I suggest you begin looking for one Monday morning
2. how much did the lawyer cost? That will all depned on the case and the attorney, figure BIG bucks, more than the fine.
3. how much was the total cost? Can't tell also figure on increased insurance costs.
4. what was the argument of the lawyer or did he plee bargin? That is what you pay the attorney for and will again depend on your case.
5. If my license was suspended in VA can I still drive in my home state (MD) and elsewhere? Many states have recripocral agreements so you may also have consequences for MD and elsewhere.
6. did you ever hear about one getting jail time for a first offense? Exactly what was the violation number, you can look it up based on that information to see the potential sentences.

I am really worried guys.
Things could have been worse, it could have been a DUI. Holiday's always have more law enforcement out, but VA is famous for being strict with speeding.

sean13

Just went to court for a 88 in a 55. Guilty... :/

1. which lawyer one would recommend?

2. how much did the lawyer cost?
750 to 1200

3. how much was the total cost?
500 fine, no loss of license but my record was spotless. +5 points

4. what was the argument of the lawyer or did he plee bargin?
Plea bargin

5. If my license was suspended in VA can I still drive in my home state (MD) and elsewhere?
Doubt it but this is not my area of expertise.

6. did you ever hear about one getting jail time for a first offense?

Get nervous... After talking to a few lawyers for my problem I do know that you hit the magic number in Fairfax, 90. 90 they say means you are going to jail. This ticket is on par with a DUI, seriously. I would DEFINITELY get a lawyer. I would say that you will probably lose your license. Who knows, it is a crap shoot.

Be prepared to drop 1500 minimum on this one. :(

Sean

EZ2CYIO

Start Singing Akon's Song...

I got 'locked up!'
I'm not trying to be funny, but been there, done that, got the jumpsuit! (a green one to be exact).
Here was my 'detour' in life...
125/55 in Fairfax County. Was ticketed for reckless/speeding but not arrested (though I could have been). Stewed for a month and half before a mandatory court appearance which I attended sans representation. Judge asked me if I had a lawyer, I said, 'no,' he told me I'd better get one due to the fact that jail time was a possible consequence (case continued for 2 months later). Stewed for yet another 2 months before the next court date and showed up with a $1000 'mouthpiece' who (A) was a former Commonwealth's Attorney, (B) was a state delegate, and (C) knew the Commonwealth's Attorney trying my case AND attended his wedding I might add. My attorney attempted a plea bargain to no avail, Commonwealth's Attorney wasn't budging, so then it was just a matter of 'damage control' in front of the judge to get the least amount of punishment. I knew things weren't gonna be good from jump because after the charge was read, the first thing out of the judge's mouth was, 'Did this thing have wheels?' Not a good sign (<--enter lump in throat here!). After the dust settled I was sentenced to 90 days jail with 65 days suspended, which meant in reality actually serving 12.5 days due to being a misdemeanor charge (you only serve half your time for a misdemeanor as long as you behave in jail); received a $1600 fine; and had my licensed suspended for 6 months. This charge carries a 6 point penalty and stays on your driving record for 11 years here in VA. My insurance premiums have also went up as a result of the conviction. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I just want to tell it like it is, Fairfax County don't play! All I can say is expect the worse and hope for the best! Vaya con Dios!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">