• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Temp residents, can they join the ARMY????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Cabrera

I got married to a US Citizen on 1998, I obtained a temporary residency status, since then, I've been waiting for an interview with the INS to get my permanent residency in this country. My marriage has not worked out, me and my wife have been through periods of separation, and reconciliation several times now during this waiting period. I've always wanted to join the ARMY, but I didn't do it before because I didn't know if me and my wife were going to stay married, therefore I didn't know if I was going to obtain my residency to be able to join. I just talked to an officer of the ARMY, and he told me I could join, even as a temp resident, the only problem is that right now I'm living separated from my wife, and It feels like this time we are going to get divorced for sure. What would happen to me if I join the ARMY now and my wife decided to divorce me while I'm in active duty??? Will they ask me to leave right away, or would they let me complete the two years I'm planning to sign up for???? What will happend to the INS interview we have to go through??? Will my wife be asked to go by herself???? Please, give me some thoughs, any input right now is welcome.

Cabrera

C

calibur

Yes, u can. I had applied before. According to my understanding, u can even applied before u had the greencard as long as your passport has a stamp showed that u will be a residence. But will u be able to keep your residency after you devoice? If not, then maybe u can't apply for it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">