• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No parking sign hidden behind tree

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NaDude

What is the name of your state? CA

A few months ago I parked in front of my apartment complex and found a parking ticket on my window the next day.
I looked around and did not see any posted signs at first but after walking 100-150 feet in front of my car I finally noticed one.
The sign was behind some tree branches and completely hidden.
No way for any one to clearly see the sign, only if you were standing right in front of it.
So my option was to pay the fine or write a letter to contest the ticket.
A few months pasted after I submitted the letter and I assumed that the city would void the ticket.
I was wrong; the city mailed me another letter stating, "The reason given does not invalidate the citation".
So again I have two choices, pay the $65 fine or schedule a hearing.
This is what bugs me...How can the city fine me if the sign is hidden and not visible.
Also a few weeks after I submitted my letter to contest the ticket, the city had a few workers cutting some of the tree's branches in my area including the tree that was blocking the no parking sign.
I know I should have taken some pictures of the city workers but what good would that have done since I provided multiple pictures with my letter and still was denied...So who knows.
:confused:

rmet4nzkx

Was the curb red maybe?

How could you live there and not realize it was a no parking zone?

What about the sign behind your car, was that blocked also?

CdwJava

It may depend on the nature of the citation and the area. Some parking ordinances do not require signage, others do.

There may be another level of appeal, make an inquiry into that. And instead of doing it in writing, see about doing it in person.

- Carl

NaDude

No painted curb...Just moved into apartment complex, was a welcome to the neighborhood greeting.
The street that I live on is a main street, two lanes in each direction, and no parking on the first and third of the month between 9:00am-11:00am.
The other sign is 150 feet behind my car and since nothing is in front of it, it seems as the no parking area stops at that posted sign.
As for the handicap thing, I just wanted to know what the security guard could do…I guess not really a rent a cop if they can still issue you a ticket.
:D

rmet4nzkx

You need to learn what the markings and postings mean, read signs, the sign behind your car is where the noparking zone began, that is why the ticket wasn't dropped because you were parking in the middle of the no parking zone that was only for specific dates and times, the sign behind the tree wasn't the begining of the zone. Parking tickets can be issues on private property for handicap violations. Perhaps your welcome to the apartment complex should have included a reminder re the street parking restrictions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">