• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

16 w/ child, what rights does my mother and father have?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FutureMommy05

What is the name of your state?-Michigan

Okay, I am 16 I have a 4 month old son. I am very much afraid that my father will try and take custody of my child. What rights as my parents do they have over my child/any decisions that must be made about my child? I am concered because I would like to get emancipated. My mother is willing to sign for me to be imancipated. But my father wants to take both custody of me and the baby. In order to stop this from happening I want to file a petition to get emancipated. I would like to stay residing with my mother and rent out her upstairs. What are the odds of a judge emancipating me with one parent willing to emancipate me and not the other? Do I have grounds to want to be emancipated?~Please help with any information possible.

BelizeBreeze

In Michigan you can become emancipated without your parent's permission as long as they are not supporting you and you meet additional criteria of the emancipation statute. For example, the court must find that you are at least sixteen years of age, that you can manage your financial affairs (this usually means you are employed), that you can manage you personal and social affairs and that emancipation would be in your best interest.

That also means not living at home, having daycare for the child and being totally self-sufficient.

If you want to learn about emancipation in your state, go here:
http://www.co.livingston.mi.us/juvenilecourt/emancipation.htm

rmet4nzkx

Please put all your facts and questions together, on this thread you have a 4 month old child, but in Novenber you were only pregnant which is it or is it both? What has happened with the father since writing? Perhaps this is why your father wants custody of both you and your children, because you are not ready to live on your own.

think hard about what youre going to are you going to finish school?

your parents can get custody of you,but unless they have proof of neglect and abuse,they cant get custody of your baby.nor can they make decisions regarding the baby,i strongly advise you to finish high school,i assume youre a junior,you only have another year left before you graduate,and its very difficult to get a job without a hs diploma.

LdiJ

rmet4nzkx said:
Please put all your facts and questions together, on this thread you have a 4 month old child, but in Novenber you were only pregnant which is it or is it both? What has happened with the father since writing? Perhaps this is why your father wants custody of both you and your children, because you are not ready to live on your own.
This is the second time that I have seen you refer to previous postings by a poster....but when I go and look at their "history" I find that they are brand new posters.

Am I missing something?

rmet4nzkx

LdiJ said:
This is the second time that I have seen you refer to previous postings by a poster....but when I go and look at their "history" I find that they are brand new posters.

Am I missing something?
I didn't link them to the previous posts, I should have! I see they have gone back and deleted them since I posted and also their post on another thread about older father and underage mother.

In OP's case She was 15 when she first got pregnant by an 18 yo boy and the first child by that relationship and pregnant again, now the state has brought charges against the father.

Now I wonder how much of any of this is true, since OP fails to clarify and feels the need to cover up their trail. I really hate having to post a link or quote it all the time when they have conflicting posts.

AHA

What really pisses me off to no end, is OPs posting lies!!!!! Don't they have something better to do??? People are here to help each other, so if you don't have a legal problem, DON'T MAKE ONE UP for your own kicks!! I HATE wasting my time with pathetic liers, so remember that before you post your next bs story. Give people with true problems the space they need on this forum so they can get help.
Close your legs for 5 min and get a life!!

Happy Trails

FutureMommy05 said:
What is the name of your state?-Michigan

Okay, I am 16 I have a 4 month old son. I am very much afraid that my father will try and take custody of my child. What rights as my parents do they have over my child/any decisions that must be made about my child? I am concered because I would like to get emancipated. My mother is willing to sign for me to be imancipated. But my father wants to take both custody of me and the baby. In order to stop this from happening I want to file a petition to get emancipated. I would like to stay residing with my mother and rent out her upstairs. What are the odds of a judge emancipating me with one parent willing to emancipate me and not the other? Do I have grounds to want to be emancipated?~Please help with any information possible.
I can see it now: Judge, I want to be emancipated, because my mother will release me from her custody, and she will allow me to live upstairs. I feel I need to be emancipated, because my father wants custody of me and I don't want any parental control in my life. :rolleyes:

I agree with the others, and I like AHA's advice. I will add, get a small pillow and learn to keep it between your thighs at all times without letting it fall.

kay2578

why?

I just wanna ask something. How come if your a 25 year old single mother you get all the support in the world from the general public, but if your a 16 year old mother, just because you made a mistake and had a baby then you get critised?
People make mistakes we all do and we should stop looking at and critising other peoples.
So what shes a teen mother, whats wrong with that?
As long as her child has what he needs and is looked after and cared for then thats all that matters.

Silverplum

And everyone else wonders WHY you are posting to a 4 year old thread?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I just wanna ask something. How come if your a 25 year old single mother you get all the support in the world from the general public, but if your a 16 year old mother, just because you made a mistake and had a baby then you get critised?
People make mistakes we all do and we should stop looking at and critising other peoples.
So what shes a teen mother, whats wrong with that?
As long as her child has what he needs and is looked after and cared for then thats all that matters.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Particularly since the 16 year old OP is now a 20 year old and probably a mother of 5!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">