• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Scammed at Register, Fired, prosecuted?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CBurnett

What is the name of your state? South Carolina

I was a cashier at a convience store, second day on the job, working alone. A man came in and basically pretended to be someone from another store in the chain, I didnt know the ropes, and was easy prey. He tricked me into giving him $180 from my register. He never came back, I told the manager and was fired. I know it was dumb, but the problem now is the store chain is threatening to prosecute me for theft.
They will not give me my check until I pay them $180, and they want me to come in and "sign some papers". I do not have the money to give them, the only money I have is in the check they are keeping. I had thought they would just automatically take it out of my check anyway. I filed a police report, and the guy is on the survelliance camera from the store. I think if I go and see them, I will get railroaded.

My questions are:
1. Can they legally hold my check?
2.Can I be prosecuted for theft or get a criminal record from this?
3. If I can't come up with the money to pay them right away, can I be arrested?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
1.) No. You can file a complaint with the SC DOL. I'm not saying that you should or should not do so; you know what they say about burning bridges. You may want to think about possible responses. But you CAN.
2.) Probably not, but it would depend on the EXACT details of what happened.
3.) No. But they MAY be able to sue you. It depends on whether SC allows them to hold you financially responsible for a theft. That's something you can check out (anonymously, if you like) with the state DOL.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">