• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HELP! U.S. citizen needs insight if applying for permanent residency in Canada

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

moue

HI AND THANKS FOR READING! I'm a U.S. citizen who's desperate to know the consequences if I apply for permanent residency status in Canada...

1) TAX LIABILITY: What will I owe the U.S. if I take advantage of a work permit in Canada (while waiting for perm residency approval)?

2) PAYING OFF U.S. DEBTS: Is there any way to set up an "international back acct" that will convert canadian dollars earned into u.s. dollars so that creditors can draft payments from me successfully? I can't see myself going to the canadian exchange center and getting money orders to send to creditors! Am I crazy in thinking about this?

3) U.S. CITZENSHIP: If/when approved for permanent residency status in canada, I am not allowed to stay 6 months out of canada. in doing so, I'll lose permanent residency status. What are the cons if i DON'T come back to the U.S. for a certain amount of time? Will I lose my U.S. citizenship?

ANY FEEDBACK would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

M.M.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">