• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

leaving country while naturalization is in process

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

Kim

Hi,

I applied for my citizenship 2 months ago. and my finger prints have been taken. I am planning to go to UK for 2 years on work permit. I will be able to make it for all future appointment INS might call for. Would it affect my citizen ship process if i leave this country for a year or two. During that time how many times i should visit US.
Would it be advisible to go to UK on deputation. I think it's the rigth word.I mean on a transfer for two years.

S

SJLin

One of the requirements for naturalization is that one must reside continuously within the U.S. from the date of application filed up to citizenship admission. Taking employment abroad could be a factor in determining abandonment of residence. Also, unless exempted, one can not be absent from the U.S. for a continuous period of 1 year during this period of residence. An absence for 6 months, but less than 1 year establishes a presumption against this continuous residency requirement. Furthermore, an abandonment of residence could bar one from being able to re-enter the U.S. I would suggest consulting with an immigration attorney before you leave the U.S. for an extended period. https://attorneypages.com

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kim:
Hi,

I applied for my citizenship 2 months ago. and my finger prints have been taken. I am planning to go to UK for 2 years on work permit. I will be able to make it for all future appointment INS might call for. Would it affect my citizen ship process if i leave this country for a year or two. During that time how many times i should visit US.
Would it be advisible to go to UK on deputation. I think it's the rigth word.I mean on a transfer for two years.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
This transmission should not be construed as creating an attorney-client relationship between you and me. You are advised not to take or refrain from taking any action based upon this transmission without consulting professional legal counsel.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">