• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question for my parents.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

starxduzt

What is the name of your state? Florida

Happened in the state of Florida, in Clay county. My parents are originally from Hillsborough county.

My parents have been living in SC for the past 13 months in their RV and were coming home Christmas eve. My dad was in their RV and my mom was following him in their truck. My dad was pulled over because the recent sticker on their tag had fallen off and the state trooper thought it had expired. When he pulled my dad over, my mom pulled over also to see what was going on.

The officer ran the tag and saw that it wasn't expired. He then ran my dads background and my moms background. My dad is a convicted felon, he was a bad guy when he was younger, fought cops and things like that. My mom dealt marijuana about 5-6 years ago and was arrested twice for it. The cop wrote a warning on the tag and then said that he wanted to search the vehicles. My dad objected for well over an hour and finally let him go ahead and search my moms truck, and the cop found nothing except my moms pistol. He then started harassing my dad into getting him to search the RV. My dad objected to that for awhile also, and the cop just kept going at him, coercing him into it. Finally, my dad said, "If I don't let you, you're going to get a dog anyway right?" The cop shrugged and my dad basically told him, "If I have no other choice, go for it." He then admitted that he had under 2oz of weed and a rifle in the RV.

Before any of this was admitted though, the cop kept shutting them into his car and not letting them out, and questioning them over and over. The cop went into the RV and found the weed and rifle exactly where my dad told him it was. He confiscated both of those items and began filling out the paperwork. He wrote on the paperwork that it was 1/2lb-1lb of marijuana and that there was a charge of "possesion of a firearm while commiting a felony." My dad told him there was no way it was 1/2lb - 1lb of weed, he bought it at 2oz and had been using it, so there was no way it was that much.

The cop arrested my father and locked him into the car and continued questioning him. He also questioned my mother more and then gave her pistol back to her, but he put it in the RV, which is where the original "crime scene" was. He also asked her if she was suicidal, to which my mom promptly answered no. He didn't tell her to not go in the RV or anything along those lines, he said he was letting them keep the RV since it was their home and he didn't want them to lose it. He then got into the car and questioned my dad more.

My mom had to go into the RV at this time to get her dog's leash. As soon as my mom walked into the car, the officer told my father "Sure hope she's not suicidal" and pulled his gun out. My dad assured him that she was doing something for the dog, she was not getting the gun. The officer continued to make comments about my mother being suicidal while fingering his gun the whole time. After my mother came out, the officer was ready to take my dad to jail. He pulled up beside my moms truck, let her give my dad a kiss and tell him bye. He then drove off and as they were driving, he told me dad to give him his cellphone number.

Once my dad did that, the officer called my mother, supposedly to see if she was okay. My dad was then taken to jail and booked. It wasn't until the next morning before he was to see the judge, that he was read his miranda rights. The judge set bond for him at $5,003 and my dad got a bail bond to get out. Once he was out, they brought him home.

Here are my questions:

Did the officer have the right to run my mothers history and search her vehicle on account of that, even though she was not the one he pulled over?

Did the officer have probable cause to search either vehicle?

The officer never weighed the marijuana or had my dad agree to how much he though it weighed, was that legal?

Was the officer supposed to read EITHER of my parents their miranda rights since he was detaining them, questioning them, and not allowing them to leave?

Was the officer correct in putting the pistol BACK into the RV, which he knew only my father could drive, technically giving my father possesion of the gun again, after taking out the rifle and confiscating it?

Did the officer have any right to detain my mother and question her like that, even though she was not the one in question?

After the officer began detaining them, are any statements my parents made valid in a court of law since they did not get their miranda rights? Especially my mothers, what would be the case with anything she said?

I'm sure I have many more, but those are the main ones at the moments. Thank you for reading and thank you for any advice you can give.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

starxduzt said:

Happened in the state of Florida, in Clay county. My parents are originally from Hillsborough county.

My parents have been living in SC for the past 13 months in their RV and were coming home Christmas eve. My dad was in their RV and my mom was following him in their truck. My dad was pulled over because the recent sticker on their tag had fallen off and the state trooper thought it had expired. When he pulled my dad over, my mom pulled over also to see what was going on.

The officer ran the tag and saw that it wasn't expired. He then ran my dads background and my moms background. My dad is a convicted felon, he was a bad guy when he was younger, fought cops and things like that. My mom dealt marijuana about 5-6 years ago and was arrested twice for it. The cop wrote a warning on the tag and then said that he wanted to search the vehicles. My dad objected for well over an hour and finally let him go ahead and search my moms truck, and the cop found nothing except my moms pistol. He then started harassing my dad into getting him to search the RV. My dad objected to that for awhile also, and the cop just kept going at him, coercing him into it. Finally, my dad said, "If I don't let you, you're going to get a dog anyway right?" The cop shrugged and my dad basically told him, "If I have no other choice, go for it." He then admitted that he had under 2oz of weed and a rifle in the RV.

Before any of this was admitted though, the cop kept shutting them into his car and not letting them out, and questioning them over and over. The cop went into the RV and found the weed and rifle exactly where my dad told him it was. He confiscated both of those items and began filling out the paperwork. He wrote on the paperwork that it was 1/2lb-1lb of marijuana and that there was a charge of "possesion of a firearm while commiting a felony." My dad told him there was no way it was 1/2lb - 1lb of weed, he bought it at 2oz and had been using it, so there was no way it was that much.

The cop arrested my father and locked him into the car and continued questioning him. He also questioned my mother more and then gave her pistol back to her, but he put it in the RV, which is where the original "crime scene" was. He also asked her if she was suicidal, to which my mom promptly answered no. He didn't tell her to not go in the RV or anything along those lines, he said he was letting them keep the RV since it was their home and he didn't want them to lose it. He then got into the car and questioned my dad more.

My mom had to go into the RV at this time to get her dog's leash. As soon as my mom walked into the car, the officer told my father "Sure hope she's not suicidal" and pulled his gun out. My dad assured him that she was doing something for the dog, she was not getting the gun. The officer continued to make comments about my mother being suicidal while fingering his gun the whole time. After my mother came out, the officer was ready to take my dad to jail. He pulled up beside my moms truck, let her give my dad a kiss and tell him bye. He then drove off and as they were driving, he told me dad to give him his cellphone number.

Once my dad did that, the officer called my mother, supposedly to see if she was okay. My dad was then taken to jail and booked. It wasn't until the next morning before he was to see the judge, that he was read his miranda rights. The judge set bond for him at $5,003 and my dad got a bail bond to get out. Once he was out, they brought him home.

Here are my questions:

Did the officer have the right to run my mothers history and search her vehicle on account of that, even though she was not the one he pulled over?

The officer never weighed the marijuana or had my dad agree to how much he though it weighed, was that legal?

Was the officer supposed to read EITHER of my parents their miranda rights since he was detaining them, questioning them, and not allowing them to leave?

Was the officer correct in putting the pistol BACK into the RV, which he knew only my father could drive, technically giving my father possesion of the gun again, after taking out the rifle and confiscating it?

Did the officer have any right to detain my mother and question her like that, even though she was not the one in question?

After the officer began detaining them, are any statements my parents made valid in a court of law since they did not get their miranda rights? Especially my mothers, what would be the case with anything she said?

I'm sure I have many more, but those are the main ones at the moments. Thank you for reading and thank you for any advice you can give.

My response:

And you actually call these Yahoos your "parents"? Did you even bother to read what you were writing?

1. "living in SC for the past 13 months in their RV"

2. "my mom was following him in their truck."

3. "recent sticker on their tag had fallen off" (Yeah, right. Have your "parents" show you a cancelled check from the DMV)

4. "My dad is a convicted felon"

5. "My mom dealt marijuana about 5-6 years ago and was arrested twice for it."

6. "the cop found nothing except my moms pistol."

7. "He then admitted that he had under 2oz of weed and a rifle in the RV."

8. "he said he was letting them keep the RV since it was their home and he didn't want them to lose it."

Does the phrase "trailer trash" come to mind?

You actually claim these people as "parents"? Simply amazing. The above quotes appear courtesy of "Trailer Trash Monthly" magazine.

IAAL

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Can't stop laughing!

starxduzt said:

My response:

Congratulations!

Your initial post (at least the above) just became a Runner-Up in our end of the year, "Most Stupid Post" contest, being held on December 15, 2005. Unfortunately, all entries for the 2004 Most Stupid Post contest and competition were posted and locked on November 15, 2004 and the winner will be chosen by popular vote on December 15, 2004.

Thank you! Make sure to come back on December 15, 2005 to see if you're our Grand Prize winner!

Yes, believe it or not, you could be our Grand Prize winner! For further details, Rules, and Prize list, click on this link for more information:

http://petit.philou.free.fr/

IAAL

zwara

Simple Answer

Sorry to hear the story but in regards to what I know is...your Father failed to excercise his rights by giving the officer permission to search his RV as well as your Mother's car, if in fact what you said is true the officer didnt have probable cause to search either since your parents had not violated any law other then losing their valid tag. Police do their best to wear down an individual to give up their Constitutional rights in regards to search & seizure. Had your Father kept his mouth shut and just followed the general rule then the officer wouldnt of had any probable cause to search this RV for illegal drugs. Sadly your Father pretty much screwed himself and if what was found upon searching the RV is true then the officer did his duty. :(

Last edited:

starxduzt

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

Does the phrase "trailer trash" come to mind?

You actually claim these people as "parents"? Simply amazing. The above quotes appear courtesy of "Trailer Trash Monthly" magazine.

IAAL
I came here asking for advice, not for your "I'm better than everyone" attitude and opinions. The fact of the matter is, my parents have plenty of money (have you SEEN recent RV's and the fact that people TRAVEL in them?) and they are hiring a lawyer, but I was doing them a favor. I hope they don't get some moron like you defending them though, because God only knows what happens to your clients. Yes, my parents DO smoke still, but they are NOT the people they were years ago. Get off your high horse and give some real advice, I was really hoping you wouldn't even bother replying to this.

starxduzt

zwara said:
Sorry to hear the story but in regards to what I know is...your Father failed to excercise his rights by giving the officer permission to search his RV as well as your Mother's car, if in fact what you said is true the officer didnt have probable cause to search either since your parents had not violated any law other then losing their valid tag. Police do their best to wear down an individual to give up their Constitutional rights in regards to search & seizure. Had your Father kept his mouth shut and just followed the general rule then the officer wouldnt of had any probable cause to search this RV for illegal drugs. Sadly your Father pretty much screwed himself and if what was found upon searching the RV is true then the officer did his duty. :(
Thank you. :)

We figured that, just needed someone to verify it for us. What about my mother and how the cop detained her? Was that legal? They are consulting a lawyer but they just want to go in knowing as much as possible.

CdwJava

starxduzt said:
Yes. She was present, he found who she was, he ran a check on her. No legal issue there.

Not knowing what the officer saw, knew, or suspected, I don't know. Your parents should consult an attorney.

Sure. He can weigh it later. I don't carry a scale on me, either. But, I can pretty much eyeball a pile o' marijuana and tell you whether it will be an ounce or more (which is the difference in my state). If I guess wrong, the charge can be amended up or down depending on my guess.

That depends on the totality of the circumstances. It generally requires an arrest AND interrogation. Detentions do not always equate to an arrest for purposes of Miranda. And asking for consent is not a Miranda issue. Though if he was truly dogged for an hour, I'd suspect an argument against free and true consent could be made.

Depends on the law. It might be legal, or it might not. Maybe possession of the rifle was against the law but a pistol wasn't ... on the other hand, he could have just made an error.

Yes. A detention requires minimal cause.

It depends. Again, Miranda is required when in custody (arrested) and being interrogated. The totality of the circumstances would have to be evaluated by a court to determine if Miranda was needed. And if it was, the usual remedy is the dismissal of incriminating statements or evidence discovered based upon those statements.

Again, they need to talk to an attorney.

- Carl

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

starxduzt said:
I came here asking for advice, not for your "I'm better than everyone" attitude and opinions.

MY RESPONSE: Well, I know one thing . . . I am better than your convicted felon parents!

The fact of the matter is, my parents have plenty of money

MY RESPONSE: Yes. And now it's all going "bye-bye" to a defense attorney, instead of to you in your inheritance. And, once they're both convicted, guess what? Yup, they get to pay for their incarceration expenses. That means the State will be emptying their bank accounts and selling off what the State can get to pay for their stay in prison. Oh, brother. . .

(have you SEEN recent RV's and the fact that people TRAVEL in them?) and they are hiring a lawyer, but I was doing them a favor.

MY RESPONSE: Do yourself a favor, pal. Distance yourself from them . . . That is, of course, unless you're following in their footsteps, yourself!

I hope they don't get some moron like you defending them though, because God only knows what happens to your clients.

MY RESPONSE: I never talk this way to my clients. As long as they bring me truckloads of cash, I give them all the sympathy I can muster. But, on these forums, I just let it all hang out!!

Yes, my parents DO smoke still, but they are NOT the people they were years ago.

MY RESPONSE: Oh, no. Of course they're not the same people. If Bonnie and Clyde were still alive, I'm sure they'd be different people today, too!
Let me remind you who your parents are today, though:

1. "living in SC for the past 13 months in their RV"

2. "my mom was following him in their truck."

3. "recent sticker on their tag had fallen off" (Yeah, right. Have your "parents" show you a cancelled check from the DMV)

4. "My dad is a convicted felon"

5. "My mom dealt marijuana about 5-6 years ago and was arrested twice for it."

6. "the cop found nothing except my moms pistol."

7. "He then admitted that he had under 2oz of weed and a rifle in the RV."

8. "he said he was letting them keep the RV since it was their home and he didn't want them to lose it."

Get off your high horse and give some real advice, I was really hoping you wouldn't even bother replying to this.

MY RESPONSE: Yeah, I know you were hoping I wouldn't reply. But, c'mon! How could I pass this one up? I ask you . . . how could I? Your post was PERFECT!

IAAL

zwara

starxduzt said:
Thank you. :)

We figured that, just needed someone to verify it for us. What about my mother and how the cop detained her? Was that legal? They are consulting a lawyer but they just want to go in knowing as much as possible.
I dont know enough to lend any advice in regards to your Mother, I would suggest to you what Cdwjava suggested since being in law enforcement he has that knowledge to suggest. I have learned from opinions here in regards to the alledged crime your Father being charged with is that you wont find very many here that would lend a sympathetic ear to marijuana use, and although I havent used marijuana for over 25 years, I do know (an observation that is) that in MANY instances the penalties far outweighs the crime itself. To simply judge someone's character on the basis they smoke marijuana is like a drunk asking another drunk to drive him home. But the FACT is marijuana is illegal and if one choose to partake in it's use then they are risking their liberties. In regards to those that would question your personal relationship with your parents only shows them to be even bigger fools then they already are so try and ignore them (I do). These types of individuals can only find pleasure in demeaning others since the reflection they see in the mirror is one they pleasure not. take care....

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

zwara said:
In regards to those that would question your personal relationship with your parents only shows them to be even bigger fools then they already are so try and ignore them (I do). These types of individuals can only find pleasure in demeaning others since the reflection they see in the mirror is one they pleasure not. take care....

My response:

Thanks for the homespun bologna. Hey, but if that's what floats your boat, and makes you feel better to say that, then who am I to deny you? God only knows I love to get my licks in too! I can take it.

IAAL

rmet4nzkx

Why am I having visions of a caravan of gun tot'n ex felon drug dealers evaiding the revenuers to the strains of C&W music? Guess they will be busting into Ma's nestegg. :rolleyes:

I don't have a clue what your parents rights are - or - which rights may have been violated as you have described them; but the Florida courts do.

From another website:
An individual who makes inculpatory statements to a law enforcement officer is not entitled to Miranda warnings unless the officer says or does something that leads the person to believe he is in police custody, the 5th DCA said. The state appealed a trial court order suppressing statements by Randy Wilson, who was suspected in the theft of office equipment. After the deputy told Wilson he was investigating the theft, Wilson described how he committed the crime. The state argued that since Wilson was not in custody at the time the statements were made, Miranda warnings were not required. The DCA agreed. "No evidence was adduced indicating that, during his conversation with Mr. Wilson, the deputy used threatening or commanding language; brandished a weapon or made any threatening gestures; or that he touched or approached Mr. Wilson," the DCA said. "Since, at no time did the deputy do anything or say anything to indicate to Mr. Wilson that he was in police custody, Miranda warnings were not required." [State vs. Wilson, 747 So.2d 1051 (5DCA1/7/00)].

For an absolute breathtaking view of judicial honesty - see
Perko v. State, 874 So. 2d 666, 667 (Fla. 4th DCA 2004);

Then, in relation to Perko, a must read is;
State v. Baez, __ So. 2d ___, (Fla. 2004) (November 10, 2004).

Now. As to the insulting commentary posted here regarding your parentage, please ignore it. You can get your complete revenge, when, in your next life, you can choose one of the "insultors" as your parents, just as you chose the parents you have this time.

zwara

yer welcome

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

Thanks for the homespun bologna. Hey, but if that's what floats your boat, and makes you feel better to say that, then who am I to deny you? God only knows I love to get my licks in too! I can take it.

IAAL
yer welcome partner, it's always a pleasure to enlighten you heathen infidels with a little homespun humor....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">