• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2 questions, please read.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

t0ddie

What is the name of your state? MINNESOTA.

my first question is, i have a no proof of insurance ticket that has an error, and its not my address, or the color of my car, or my name misspelled. the error is the last digit on my license plate was written down incorrectly.

is this enough to dismiss my case?

the second question, the reason i was stopped was that my lisence plate light was out. being that older vehicles dont even HAVE license plates lights, is this enough probable cause to make a stop?

lastly, this would be my first offense, and i did not have insurance. when i go to court, should i have an attorney present? i cant really afford one, yet im sure the court will decide that i make too much for a public defender.

thanks, Todd

It's unlikely a minor error writing down the plate will make a difference.

You must have insurance to drive.

All vehicles must have licence plates lights, yours must be broke.

Get the light fixed and some insurance, they might drop the ticket.

racer72

The errors do not prevent you from presenting a valid defense. Automobiles have required license plates lights since the 1949 model year. You must have a really old car. Public defender. Hahahahaha. Thats funny. Not one state in the US offers PD's for traffic tickets.

Last edited:

t0ddie

well, i dont know the law, lol. i thought you could get a PD.

it was still a petty thing to do. (pulling me over)

there was cops pulling people over all over the place, musta been expecting a drug shipment or something. it was close to a trailer park close to blaine. i was just in the wrong place at the wrong time, and i got a rusty old van.

and i hear in wisconsin, you arent required to have insurance, maybe i should move there, its pretty unfair how much $$$ they charge you for insurance, especially living in north minneapolis (the ghetto).

i got the light fixed, but im going to drive a different car now, that one ill get insurance for. hopefully the cop wont show up for court, i already postponed the court date twice now, its scheduled for january 13th, and i got the ticket on october 11th :D

i thought maybe the lisence would be a major error, but i guess not,

and i could have sworn ive seen cars that arent brand new, but not old as dirt, without lisence plate lights. i see semi truck dont have them. i dont see what the big deal is, they can see it with their HEADLIGHTS.

thanks for the advice, i guess ill plead guilty, and bring my insurance info with me to court. no need to pay for a lawyer.

any further advice? a friend of mine (she is 31) had a first time offence for the same thing recently, but her lisence was also suspended and she didnt know it. when she went to court, she had to talk to the prosecutor and she was offered a deal or the choice to go to court.

she got off with a 300 dollar fine, and im not sure if its on her record.

maybe ill get less, but i hope it wont go on my record :(

thanks
Todd

ptlmejo

and i hear in wisconsin, you arent required to have insurance, maybe i should move there, its pretty unfair how much $$$ they charge you for insurance, especially living in north minneapolis (the ghetto).
You're right. But when you get into an accident and you're faced paying for the injuries to the other driver as well as the cost of repairing his/her vehicle, you'll wish you did. Plus, you will be required to get insurance to keep your license.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">