• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

License Plate Expired

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gbee

What is the name of your state? OH

This is my first ticket ever,
The officer was saying that if I will renew the license plate, before going to court, I may not have to pay the fine, is this true ?
What should I say there (in court) ?

What can be the fine for this ?

S

seniorjudge

"The officer was saying that if I will renew the license plate, before going to court, I may not have to pay the fine, is this true ?"
This is true in some states; check your state's statutes or call the licensing authority and ask them. (Don't count on answer; if you get an answer, don't count on an accurate answer.)

"What should I say there (in court) ?"
"Your honor, I have my new tags. Here they are."

"What can be the fine for this ?"
I do not know.

Gbee

Thanks a lot for the reply
i called them today, they asked for a fine of $85,
I have already got my license renewed (this is the first thing I did in the morning)

The other thing I was wondering whether to tell the judge or not :-
1) that I went to the BMV office on 24th Dec (just a day before my license expired) but they closed that day at 12:00 noon, and just before 24th (ie on 22nd and 23rd) 2 days there was severe snow storm in cleveland, due to which I could not go there.
I know it was my fault but some how it was my bad luck also (coz I did not know thay will close early on 24th)

Could this genuine reason help (or this would be taken as a lame excuse)

Happy Trails

Gbee said:
Thanks a lot for the reply
i called them today, they asked for a fine of $85,
I have already got my license renewed (this is the first thing I did in the morning)

The other thing I was wondering whether to tell the judge or not :-
1) that I went to the BMV office on 24th Dec (just a day before my license expired) but they closed that day at 12:00 noon, and just before 24th (ie on 22nd and 23rd) 2 days there was severe snow storm in cleveland, due to which I could not go there.
I know it was my fault but some how it was my bad luck also (coz I did not know thay will close early on 24th)

Could this genuine reason help (or this would be taken as a lame excuse)
Just curious, in Ohio your plates expire different dates of the month?

Gbee

I think so
Thats why the officer told me "that it expired few days ago"
though the date on the plates is for 12-04 (i.e. Dec 2004)

Happy Trails

Gbee said:
I think so
Thats why the officer told me "that it expired few days ago"
though the date on the plates is for 12-04 (i.e. Dec 2004)
Are you sure the officer said your license plate had expired or did you mean your driver's license?

In Minnesota if your plates say 12-04, they are good through the month of December. You would need to renew the tags before the first of the year.

Or maybe the officer said you had a few days to go. :confused:

Gbee

No now I am sure
after last reply, I checked the date of expiration (it was 25th Dec 2004)
and I got a ticket on 26th Dec

Do you mean the DL in your wallet or the Plate on your car?

The plate on your car is good up to and including the last day of the month that is on the sticker on the plate. So it would still be good. I think you may be confusing the DL with the plate....somehow?
Anyway I am willing to bet it is your DL and therfore happy birthday.

Hasnt this snow been hell?

Gbee

No, I am pretty sure it is the license plate, coz the driving license is not expiring till 2006, and I was talking about the letter that I got from BMV to get the license plates renewed before 25th Dec 2004 (as they are expiring on that day)

Thats very strange. It may may a northern ohio thing but here in sounhern ohio the plate is good for as long as the month stated on the tag. Do you think maybe they wanted you in by the 24th so there would be no hassle trying to get it during the holidays and then having to wait till after the fist?

It would help to see the letter. Maybe type it out if you still have it.

Gbee

They have sent me an "Application for renewal registration by mail "
In which there is various information like :-
Plate cat : PASSENGER
Plate type :.........
Title # : ................
Vehicle : ..................
Purchase Date : 01-07-2004
==> Reg Expires : 12/25/2004
Renewal Expires : 12/25/2005
County : CUYAHOGA
................and some other fields

I guess the most important field here was "Reg Expires : "

and this is in Cleveland, OHIO

Is there some way I can make sure that I was at fault ?????

S

seniorjudge

"Is there some way I can make sure that I was at fault ?????"

This is one of those things called a public welfare offense...it's an either-or situation.

If you had your new tags, you were not guilty. If you didn't have your new tags, you were guilty.

Period.

End of story.

"Even ifs" are not allowed in public welfare offenses.

Who's Liable?

You would have to check with your states DMV on this one...

Just because you have a 12/04 sticker does not mean the registration is good for the entire month of December. My states issue monthly stickers(01/05. 04/05, but the registration can expire on the 11th day of the month...

Gbee

I think I am pretty sure that the license plate expired on this 25th of the month, coz the ticket also says the same,
I just think its cruel,

I will go to the court and ask for pardon
and hope judge would understand
after all its not that I didn't try

I was unfortunate, that there was a storm and the next day
DMV decided to close early (12:00 noon) while there site says they would be open till 5:00 pm

kms250

flyingwolf said:
Thats very strange. It may may a northern ohio thing but here in sounhern ohio the plate is good for as long as the month stated on the tag. Do you think maybe they wanted you in by the 24th so there would be no hassle trying to get it during the holidays and then having to wait till after the fist?

It would help to see the letter. Maybe type it out if you still have it.
Ohio state law - plates expire on the month and day of birth. Doesn't matter if it's a holiday, plates must be renewed before hand.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">