• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possession for the Purpose of Trafficking

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

randy213

What is the name of your state? British Columbia

My car was searched under the suspicion of trafficking. I had two broken off Mentos mints wrapped in tin foil in the center console. The cops said I was trying to sell that as crack cocaine. They arrested me and put me in a holding cell, took my photograph. They interrogated me then let me loose, giving me a week to come back and "rat" drug dealers out or else they would charge me. They didn't give me any papers or anything when they let me out. Can they charge me for having two breath mints wrapped in tin foil that they say I had wrapped for sale. They didn't see me try to sell it or offer it to anyone. It was just in my center console. I break my Mentos in pieces then wrap it in tin foil for conservation so I have more mints to eat since Mentos are such big candies. They also found two pieces of paper with a phone number written on it. They say I was handing it out as a call number so that drug addicts could call me. It wasn't my number nor did the paper have my name on it. They kept my cell phone which is of a different number than the number on the piece of paper. What can I do? What should I do? Please help. I don't want to have a felony charge for having breath mints in my car.

Last edited:

randy213

snostar said:
This site addresses US law ONLY.

well can u answer the question in terms of US law like what if this happen in a US state... maybe i can have some hope in beating these assumptions against me... i tried getting a hold of an attorney but he is on vacation i think and i am trying to get a hold of him everyday... i still have until the first week of january to talk again with these police... i have no criminal record, no history of drugs... nothing...

snostar

I have no problem fitting a whole mento in my mouth...perhaps you should buy smaller mints from now on. :D

randy213

Thanks.

Can any law students or attorneys answer this question? Just put my story in the laws of your state and tell me what you think can happen.

Happy Trails

randy213 said:
Can someone explain "reasonable person theory"?
It's the same theory that the cops had. It seemed reasonable to them that you were trying to pass the broken mints off as crack cocaine.

nohr4u1yr

I don't buy it.

I don't buy it! (pun indended)

I think you were trying to sell broken mentos as crack. The "reason" for 1/2 mints just doesn't work.

Ok...If you break them in half because they are "too big" then why did you have a couple of them broken - wouldn't you have only had ONE broken in half?

Try tic-tacs they are small and only 1 1/2 calories!

Happy Trails

nohr4u1yr said:

I think you were trying to sell broken mentos as crack. The "reason" for 1/2 mints just doesn't work.

Ok...If you break them in half because they are "too big" then why did you have a couple of them broken - wouldn't you have only had ONE broken in half?

Another 'reasonable person theory' could be, he was trying to get, "two mints in one" and "two mints in one".

randy213

nohr4u1yr said:

i only had ONE mint broken into TWO pieces.

nohr4u1yr

Again...

Again... it just doesn't smoke...I mean float...

If you were going to eat 1/2 mint you would only have 1/2 left unless you were just preparing for the trip ahead of time and broke one in half so that way you could keep at least one hand on the wheel while you were driving when you had a craving for a mento.

Happy Trails

randy213 said:
i only had ONE mint broken into TWO pieces.
O.k., but since this is an a different country than ours we don't know how your country is going to handle it.

We are merely giving you our opinion on how it appears. (remember the police officers had a much better visual than what you may be describing to us)

You also wrote in your original post:

randy213 said:
They also found two pieces of paper with a phone number written on it. They say I was handing it out as a call number so that drug addicts could call me. It wasn't my number nor did the paper have my name on it.
'Reasonable person theory', of course it's not your number, you don't want these people actually to get in contact with you when they find out they were sold 'cracked' mints.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">