• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I want to marry a Finnish man!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jasmine

My boyfriend and I are in the process of planning our wedding, he is a non-resident with a H1-B (work visa, sponsored by a hotel). We are recieving lots of conflicting info. When we get married, he has to apply for a permanent work visa we know, but can we leave and go on a honeymoon, can we leave the country with in the next 2 years to go and visit his family? should we just have a civil ceremony now and do the formal thing later to prevent "red tape"? Basically my question is how does this whole marriage/work visa thing work? I am a US Citizen (born and raised here) he is Finnish?? Any help or suggestion would be great!

S

SJLin

He would be eligible for an adjustment of status after the marriage. So, one thing you may need to do is that an application of adjustment of status be filed after the marriage so that he may obtain conditional permanent residency. For an immigration attorney, go to https://attorneypages.com

------------------
This transmission should not be construed as creating an attorney-client relationship between you and me. You are advised not to take or refrain from taking any action based upon this transmission without consulting professional legal counsel.

V

valG

Finland has direct counselt processing and you both could return to the US in about a week, With the proper permits to live/work here.You might conceder getting married there
as an option.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">