• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

AWOL question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

insertusername

I have would like to hear from someone who has been in a similiar situation. I have been AWOL from the army for almost 5 years. I have thought many times about turning myself in and checked into it. I know that the rules regarding dealing with AWOL persons have recently changed and now instead of being outprocessed at Ft. Sill or Ft. Knox people are returned to their unit. I was wondering if anyone knew what the process was like once a person has been returned to their unit or if anyone can tell me a personal experience. Thanks!

leightonanthony

Turn yourself in at Ft. Sill you will be okay, just ezxcept the chapter 10 discharge, which is under honerable discharge, the discharge is in luie of court martial so you will no be tried for anything, you will not be returned to your unit because you have been gone for more than 30 consecutive days and after turning yourself in you will be on your way home in about 5 days so as long as your paper work goes okay, if not you will return in no later than 3 weeks, if you really have problems and end up there for more than 3 months the military must pay you at your rank when awol. Just turn yourself in, trust me everything will be okay, you will be taken care of and all food and expenses are paid but do bring some money not more than 50 dollars and everything will be fine.
good luck and post a reply when you get home.

insertusername

Breaking with a longstanding tradition of arresting and trying deserters under the Uniform Code of Military Justice UCMJ), the senior Army leadership decided to impose a program effective Oct. 1, 2001, whereby deserters are now returned to their original unit for evaluation, counseling and possible rehabilitation before punishment is mandated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">