• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car stolen on Christmas Eve.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RSteed61

undefinedWhat is the name of your state?Virginia

We woke up Christmas day to find our vehicle gone. We contacted the local police who then filed all the reports about the vehicle. About 4 hours later we got a call informing us they had found the vehicle in an impound lot. The idiot that had stolen our vehicle had been arrested for DUI sometime that night and the vehicle was impounded. We were told we had to contact the State trooper that had arrested the guy to have our vehicle released from the impound lot. This gentleman, and I use that term very loosely with regards to this trooper, told us that the man he had arrested told him we gave him our vehicle to use. The trooper said the guy that stole our vehicle knew too much about us for us not to know him and even if we didn't know the guy that we should never have left the vehicle unlocked in our own driveway and to add insult to injury, he told us that we would have to go before a judge and convince him that we didn't have anything to do with this guy stealing our vehicle. The trooper told us that if nothing else, having to be without our vehicle for a couple of days and having to pay the $50 per day storage fee would teach us a lesson not to leave our vehicle unlocked.
My question is what can be done. Do we have any recourse other than going before a judge? I would really like to know what action can be taken against this trooper?

Happy Trails

RSteed61 said:
undefinedWhat is the name of your state?Virginia

We woke up Christmas day to find our vehicle gone. We contacted the local police who then filed all the reports about the vehicle. About 4 hours later we got a call informing us they had found the vehicle in an impound lot. The idiot that had stolen our vehicle had been arrested for DUI sometime that night and the vehicle was impounded. We were told we had to contact the State trooper that had arrested the guy to have our vehicle released from the impound lot. This gentleman, and I use that term very loosely with regards to this trooper, told us that the man he had arrested told him we gave him our vehicle to use. The trooper said the guy that stole our vehicle knew too much about us for us not to know him and even if we didn't know the guy that we should never have left the vehicle unlocked in our own driveway and to add insult to injury, he told us that we would have to go before a judge and convince him that we didn't have anything to do with this guy stealing our vehicle. The trooper told us that if nothing else, having to be without our vehicle for a couple of days and having to pay the $50 per day storage fee would teach us a lesson not to leave our vehicle unlocked.
My question is what can be done. Do we have any recourse other than going before a judge? I would really like to know what action can be taken against this trooper?
How did the guy start your vehicle?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">