• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor From Hell - What Can I Do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

glichtone

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? CA

The neighbor next door to us is a 19 year old punk whose mother owns the condo (but doesn't live there) and let's him stay there by himself with a roommate. These kids are having parties all the time, at all hours of the night, and my family has been losing sleep on a daily basis.

We complain - in writing - to the HOA who repeatedly fines the mother (owner) but she's rich, doesn't care what goes on there, and just keeps paying the fines. The HOA says the only way they can take any legal action is if the mother doesn't pay the fines. But as I said, she's rich, so the fines are nothing to her.

My family has only owned this condo for 5 months and I shouldn't have to sell because of this 19 year old punk. Can I sue him? Can I sue his mother? What can I do to stop this insanity?

S

seniorjudge

"What can I do to stop this insanity?

What do the covenants and restrictions say about this situation?

Happy Trails

glichtone said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? CA

The neighbor next door to us is a 19 year old punk whose mother owns the condo (but doesn't live there) and let's him stay there by himself with a roommate. These kids are having parties all the time, at all hours of the night, and my family has been losing sleep on a daily basis.

We complain - in writing - to the HOA who repeatedly fines the mother (owner) but she's rich, doesn't care what goes on there, and just keeps paying the fines. The HOA says the only way they can take any legal action is if the mother doesn't pay the fines. But as I said, she's rich, so the fines are nothing to her.

My family has only owned this condo for 5 months and I shouldn't have to sell because of this 19 year old punk. Can I sue him? Can I sue his mother? What can I do to stop this insanity?
Call the police and make a complaint. Let them go over their and talk with the underage partying punk.

Last edited:

glichtone

CC&R's Offer No Help

"What do the covenants and restrictions say about this situation?"

The CC&R's only cover common area and constructive issues. They don't mention noise at all. However, the Rules & Regulations contain items about noise and the corresponding fines. But as I've said, the rich mother of this punk just keeps paying the fines.

glichtone

Police - No Help

"Call the police and make a complaint. Let them go over their and talk with the underage partying punk."

We've called the Police. Either they don't show up at all or when they do show up (hours later) the kid has left to party elsewhere or the noise has finally stopped.

nutmegstate

Similar issue

I have posted about a similar issue. My neighbors above have kids that run a round from 6AM everyday, including weekends until 7 pm. The noise is disruptive. I have written them letters, written the HOA letters, I am keeping a log of all the noise, you should do the same. I called the cops on them, and guess what I AM STILL HEARING NOISE.

We have lived there for 7 months and we don't want to lose money if we sell. I called a lawyer, he said we have to mediate before he can write a letter. Maybe you should call a lawyer to see what your rights are. Also, does your town/city have any noise ordinance? That may work in your favor. Best of luck, I truly feel for you, as I am living through this also.

katyjane493

Eviction

There is a court president from Alberta Canada, where the condo Board went to court and the court ruled that since the owner was not living by the rules of the complex that the court was seizing the condo and auctioning it, effectively eviciting the owner.

Check with your state however there maybe no protection for condo tenants that do not conform to the bylaws of the complex. The Board can go to court and have the tenants evicted.

Just Blue

There is a court president from Alberta Canada, where the condo Board went to court and the court ruled that since the owner was not living by the rules of the complex that the court was seizing the condo and auctioning it, effectively eviciting the owner.

Check with your state however there maybe no protection for condo tenants that do not conform to the bylaws of the complex. The Board can go to court and have the tenants evicted.
Why on earth did you dig up this 3 year old thread?? And what does Canadian court rulings have to do with California?????????????

US Law Only - WHEN POSTING A QUESTION, YOU MUST INCLUDE THE NAME OF YOUR STATE

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">