• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Arrested At Work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mhillsman

undefinedWhat is the name of your state?TEXAS

WHAT ARE A PERSON'S RIGHTS IF HE IS AT WORK, AND HIS CAR IS SEARCHED.
SITUATION: A GUY IS JUST GETTING OFF OF WORK. HE GOES TO HIS CAR. UNDERCOVER OFFICERS PULL UP, AND ASK TO SEARCH HIS VEHICLE. THEY PUT HIM IN THE CAR DOG'S SEARCH THE CAR. THERE IS CRACK IN THE ASHTRAY AND A GUN, UNDER THE SEAT. WAS IT LEGAL FOR THEM TO SEARCH HIM WITHOUT PROBABLE CAUSE? HE WAS AT WORK!! HE HAD NOT BEEN SELLING THEM. THERE WAS NO REASON FOR THEM TO SINGLE HIM OUT, AND SEARCH HIM. I AM LAW ILLITERATE! ;) PLEASE HELP!

CdwJava

mhillsman said:
WHAT ARE A PERSON'S RIGHTS IF HE IS AT WORK, AND HIS CAR IS SEARCHED.
For the most part, about the same as anywhere else.

SITUATION: A GUY IS JUST GETTING OFF OF WORK. HE GOES TO HIS CAR. UNDERCOVER OFFICERS PULL UP, AND ASK TO SEARCH HIS VEHICLE.
If he said, "Yes", then that was all the cause they needed. One of the exceptions to the warrant requirement for a search is consent. if he gave consent to search the car, they did not need any cause at all.

THEY PUT HIM IN THE CAR DOG'S SEARCH THE CAR. THERE IS CRACK IN THE ASHTRAY AND A GUN, UNDER THE SEAT.
Oops! He shoulda said, "No," when asked if they could search.

WAS IT LEGAL FOR THEM TO SEARCH HIM WITHOUT PROBABLE CAUSE? HE WAS AT WORK!!
They can ASK anyone anything. He did not have to give permission for the search.

If he was coerced into giving consent (threats, rubber hoses, Bubba standing over him beating a nightstick into his hand, etc.) then his attorney might be able to move to exclude the evidence. Otherwise ... oops!

HE HAD NOT BEEN SELLING THEM. THERE WAS NO REASON FOR THEM TO SINGLE HIM OUT, AND SEARCH HIM. I AM LAW ILLITERATE! ;) PLEASE HELP!
Well, my guess is that SOMEONE pointed him out. I doubt they just swooped in with a dog for no reason at all. And if consent was granted, that was all they needed.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">