• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Problem Grandma

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PAF3

What is the name of your state? Illinois
My mom lives with my brother and his family. My mother is verbally and mentally abusive to the entire family if she doesn't get her way. My brother has asked my mom to move out several times, and she refuses. My mother has no financial involvement in my brother's home. My mom demands meals, her morning coffee and breakfast to be made and served to her in the lower part of the house by my sister-in-law. My sister-in-law cannot take the abuse any longer, and my mom is verbally and mentally nasty to the children whenever she isn't getting what she wants. What are the legal options available to my brother? My mom lost her middle son three years ago, and has been depressed since. She has frequently mentioned she no longer wants to live. My brother has found suitable, affordable housing for her, but she refuses to move as these apartments are not up to the living standards she requires (but cannot afford). Do you know what can be done? Any other site we can go to? We are very worrried this situation is going to escalate quickly and someone is going to get physically hurt. Please help.

Thank you.

PAF3 said:
My mom lives with my brother and his family. My mother is verbally and mentally abusive to the entire family if she doesn't get her way. My brother has asked my mom to move out several times, and she refuses. My mother has no financial involvement in my brother's home. My mom demands meals, her morning coffee and breakfast to be made and served to her in the lower part of the house by my sister-in-law. My sister-in-law cannot take the abuse any longer, and my mom is verbally and mentally nasty to the children whenever she isn't getting what she wants. What are the legal options available to my brother? My mom lost her middle son three years ago, and has been depressed since. She has frequently mentioned she no longer wants to live. My brother has found suitable, affordable housing for her, but she refuses to move as these apartments are not up to the living standards she requires (but cannot afford). Do you know what can be done? Any other site we can go to? We are very worrried this situation is going to escalate quickly and someone is going to get physically hurt. Please help.

Thank you.
If he doesnt own the home he is living in just tell him to move and leave her there.

PAF3

My brother owns the home. My mother lives there free, and doesn't have any investment in the house what so ever...

LdiJ

PAF3 said:

Thank you.
These situations are also so rough. Your brother can follow the legal channels to "evict" her from his home. That is his legal right. However that is going to be very messy for the family relationships. Or he can tell her that if she doesn't move willingly he will do that and maybe she will "cave".

I do think however that his wife should stop waiting on her entirely...with your brother's full support.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">