• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrong DL# and wrong plate number

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bobisme14

What is the name of your state?TX

I just got pulled over for a 61 in a 30 (it's 4 in the morning, i just wanted to get home to go to bed, nice long stretch of road). Officer wrote me a ticket, and when i got home i looked at it and noticed that he wrote down both my DL # incorrectly and my plate incorrectly. Anyone think this is grounds for dismissal?

JETX

bobisme14 said:
Anyone think this is grounds for dismissal?
Probably. If they can't identify you (license) and can't find you (plate), it will be pretty hard to testify that it was you, or your car that they stopped.

bobisme14

i was wondering if anyone else had any advice to offer. how to take this in to court, or anything at all would be greatly appreciated.

bobisme14 said:
i was wondering if anyone else had any advice to offer. how to take this in to court, or anything at all would be greatly appreciated.
Why do you want to know? Do you know the person who was written that speeding ticket, driving that particular car, and is going to court?

bobisme14

i was driving the car. read the top of the post for the story, i was wondering how i should take this to court to get it dismissed or if that is even possible (i'm fairly sure it is).

Happy Trails

bobisme14 said:
What is the name of your state?TX

I just got pulled over for a 61 in a 30 (it's 4 in the morning, i just wanted to get home to go to bed, nice long stretch of road). Officer wrote me a ticket, and when i got home i looked at it and noticed that he wrote down both my DL # incorrectly and my plate incorrectly. Anyone think this is grounds for dismissal?
Just curious:
How off were the numbers on the plate and DL? Were the numbers on the DL someone else's that you knew? Were the numbers on the plate numbers you may be familiar with but don't belong to that vehicle?

Or was the police officer totally confused as to how to write the information down correctly?

bobisme14

the DL# is completely missing a number, so it could be anyones or actually no ones. my license plate reads: YWV 40Z. officer wrote YMV40Z. i think he was dyslexic. i don't believe that the incorrect plate information matters, but the lack of correct DL # is a severe mistake on their side.

Last edited:
bobisme14 said:
i was driving the car. read the top of the post for the story, i was wondering how i should take this to court to get it dismissed or if that is even possible (i'm fairly sure it is).
After reading the above quote from you, it is obvious that you missed the intent of the meaning of both my post to you, and of the post to you by JETX.

That being the case, please do not misunderstand the post made to you by
You Are Guilty, which reads;
YouAreGuilty said:
Hiring a traffic lawyer is a good start.

bobisme14

in retrospect i understand that you were being sarcastic. unfortunatly, i was not really looking for sarcastic, but for actual advice.

bobisme14 said:
in retrospect i understand that you were being sarcastic. unfortunatly, i was not really looking for sarcastic, but for actual advice.
In retrospect, you now understand how to think in terms of the law and how law works sometimes. Sarcastic? No. Thought process generating? Yes.

You Are Guilty's advice still stands, for the above-stated reasons.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">