• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Relocation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Wisconsin14

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

I accepted a job offer that required me to relocate (company paid) to Wisconsin 3 months ago. A key factor in my accepting the position was the vacation time off. They have now reduced this benefit. Are they required to relocate me back to my original residence for failing to provide me with the agreed upon package that they offered? I don't have an employment contract, but do have the offer in writing.

nohr4u1yr

Reason

What was the reason they gave you for lowering your vacation time. Also, how much time were you offered and what are they stating you will receive now?

Also, why are you taking a job just for "the vacation time". You should be taking a position because you enjoy your job, the company, etc. Not just becuase of how much vacation time you receive. What would you tell the person interviewing you for you next position? "I did relocate but they took away some of my vacation time" To me that would say "I'm not a reliable person and if you take away something from me I will quit even though you have already trusted that I am the best person for the job".

Bottom line though...since it is not an employment contract - they do not have to accomodate you with paying for your relocation back.

Wisconsin14

I stated it was a key factor, because I consider it a part of my compensation. I left a company where I received six weeks and negotiated five with this company. Now they are reducing it to 3 with a new time off with pay policy. The company is doing very well financially, so it is not a matter of cut backs. I would leave this company based on trust and fairness. If they feel that they can arbitrarily take away my benefits after I have made the commitment and moved across country, then it is not a company I want to work for. It has nothing to do with whether I am reliable or not.

And, by the way, I thought this forum was for legal advice, not lectures from people that "read into" situations without having all of the facts.

Beth3

There are two key questions: (1) Did the employer knowingly defraud you during the recruiting phase in order to induce you to accept the job and if so, (2) What damages you have inccurred.

Let's say for the sake of argument they offered you five weeks vacation knowing it would be reduced to three weeks after you started. The sum total of your damages is two weeks of paid time off per year. Your annual compensation remains the same however, so I don't know what you'd sue for and if you did and were successful, it would cost you far more in terms of legal fees and court costs than the value of your claim. (I also imagine you'd have a devil of a time proving they purposefully defrauded you on the vacation issue as well because I doubt they did.)

No, they aren't required to relocate you back to your home State because your vacation benefit was reduced. Just because an employer puts something in an offer letter does not mean it can never change. If that were the case, having quoted you a salary in the letter they could never give you a pay raise.

Wisconsin14

Thanks for the information Beth. I am not interested in suing for damages - I was just hoping to return to my home state on their dime :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">