• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marriage to US Citizen

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

Nessa

My boyfriend is a US Citizen and I am a Canandian Citizen. We are wanting to get married and for me to move down to the States, and were wandering which method would be quickest, i.e. Fiance Visa or get married first and he sponsers me, I have 2 children ages 12 & 15 that would be coming with me!

ALawyer

Marriage to a US citizen does NOT automatically confer the right to remain in the US. This is one that can be handled very inexpensively by an immigraton lawyer, and you'd be better off.

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

A

Advisor3

It's faster and less complicated if you are married in Canada and he sponsors you and your children to immigrate. You can do the paperwork at the US embassy in Canada... (some consulates also). After you enter the U.S you will get a two year work permit, and then just send in a form (and maybe have an interview)to get your permanent status. The lawyer's advice is good though, but from my experience its faster and cheaper to get married in Canada. Good Luck!

------------------

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">