• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Persistant Grandmother

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hazeleyes0509

What is the name of your state? Louisiana
This is the situation.....my husband has a child from a previous marriage and he has joint custody. We see him very regularly. The problem is his grandmother (my husbands). She is very demanding and wants to have her own visitation rights with the child. I just would like to know if she is able to do that. She is even talking about taking the ex-wife to court. She is the child's great-grandmother and this is causing problems between my husband and his ex-wife. Any information is greatly appreciated.

BelizeBreeze

Tell hubby to tell granny to kiss his grits. And that if she doesn't stop this crap, she'll NEVER see the child again.

She has NO RIGHTS period.

BL

Hazeleyes0509 said:
What is the name of your state? Louisiana
This is the situation.....my husband has a child from a previous marriage and he has joint custody. We see him very regularly. The problem is his grandmother (my husbands). She is very demanding and wants to have her own visitation rights with the child. I just would like to know if she is able to do that. She is even talking about taking the ex-wife to court. She is the child's great-grandmother and this is causing problems between my husband and his ex-wife. Any information is greatly appreciated.
Will or can DAD take the child to see Grandma ?

Has Grandma been a regular part of the child's life ?

In most cases Grandparents do not have rights , but under some circumstances they might . There are other factors that might come at issue.

As far as Grandma filing for visits . Sure she can file and there's nothing DAD can do about it .

He should tell his X just that. He can't do anything to legally stop her from filing . Although that doesn't mean she will be awarded visits .

BelizeBreeze

Blonde Lebinese said:

In most cases Grandparents do not have rights , but under some circumstances they might . There are other factors that might come at issue.

As far as Grandma filing for visits . Sure she can file and there's nothing DAD can do about it .

He should tell his X just that. He can't do anything to legally stop her from filing . Although that doesn't mean she will be awarded visits .
Blondie...Blondie...Blondie.
Grandparents have no legal rights. They MAY file for visitation but filing and having legal RIGHTS are two different and distinct things. :p

Hazeleyes0509

Blonde Lebinese said:

She does see the child, as often as us. But to her that's not enough. We've talked to her constantly about butting out, but with no luck. Would she have a foot to stand on in court?

Rushia

I live in NY, and I had a very similiar problem. No matter how much my X or myself took the kids over to visit, it wasn't enough. I consulted a lawyer after they filed for a mediation and was told that as long as the father was alive and kicking then it was his responsibility to take the kids over to visit and as long as I didn't try to restrict him from doing so on his time then they had no case. Because of the constant threats and harassment of them on me, I refuse to have contact with them. My X takes them to see their grandparents and they leave me alone. Good Luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">