• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance money and sale of resources

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cassiej

What is the name of your state? Arkansas
I recently applied for SS Disability after my husband passed away this month. My problem is that now i have his life insurance money and and going to sell our resources which will put more money into an account. I was told by SS that you can only have 2000 in the bank. Do i need to halt the filing of disability for now until the money runs out or what do i need to do. I have two small grandchildren that i must support because we never adopted them one is very ill and i am the only one able to take care of him.

BL

It depends on if you are applying for or are entitled to SSDI ( from work history ) or SSI ( disability with not enough ,or no work history ).

If the Life insurance is a small amount ,and if not spent by the time you qualify , you might request a waiver . If approved and the money spent within 30 days they would not calculate it as assets .

If it is a large amount SSA might preclude you from eligibility until the amount from the insurance payment equals the amount of time what you would have received on disability .

In regards to selling personal property , who has to know. There's always a home safe to keep the proceeds in .

I doubt one way or another weather you proceed forward with your application or wait would make much difference.

You could always consult an SSI attorney. Most consults are free .

cassiej

insurance money and sale of resources

The amount was less than 100000 but still alot of money. Before i received this money SS told me that i was eligible under the work history disability. But now i have more that the 2000 limit in my account. Will i still be eligible now?

BL

cassiej said:
The amount was less than 100000 but still alot of money. Before i received this money SS told me that i was eligible under the work history disability. But now i have more that the 2000 limit in my account. Will i still be eligible now?
How long ago did you apply ?

Did you get my hint about a home security safe , it's better than under the mattress . Withdraw most of it , and shhh - you spent it . You don't have it any longer. It's gone, spent , Proofed .

Keep enough in your acct. to keep the bank's minimum requirement and monthly fees in it . Then if your disability amount is under 2,0000 which I'm sure it will be , your will be fine .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">