• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Immigration

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

paulcussen

My Fiancee & I plan to marry in June. She is a US citizen,I'm from Ireland. What do I need to do once we're married. Will I be able to obtain a work permit straight away?. Can I leave the country?. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

K

kthumphrey

Paul, do not leave the country until all your paperwork is filed. After that you can apply for a travel document from ins that will allow you back in. your work authorization application is filed at the same time as your new wife files the 1-130 petition and you file your 1-485. It takes up to 90 days to process.

K

kthumphrey

Paul, get a book from the library or bookstore called "Immigration Questions and Answers" by Carl Baldwin. He also has a website at www.alworth.com under immigration law. He answers personal emails and has been a great help to me. My situation is similar to your own..except I'm from Scotland!! Good Luck

A

Advisor3

It depends on whether you will be getting married here or there.
If you get married there, your wife can sponsor you to come here. You will file in the Embassy there (some consulates) the day after your marriage (if you make the appointment) then coming here, you will have a temporary work permit (two years). You then file before the two years expire for a change if status to permamnent residency.

If you want to marry here and you are not already in the country, you will need to file a fiance form application for a visas to come here for marriafge, which takes 90 days, then you will only get a 90day work permit when you arrive, during which you must get married, and file for the 2 year temporary work permit. (see Katherine's comment above.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">