• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

out of status for over 1 year

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

egla

I came to U.S. on a B-1 visa (multiple entry which expires in 2007) and overstayed my stay because of an car accident at the time i was 7 months pregnant. I gave birth to my son here (he is US citizen by birth). Can i get an Employment Authorization Document considering i overstayed over 1 year? In case i get back to my country can i use this visa to reenter the U.S.? Is there any penalty for overstayers so i could pay and reenter using the same visa. Thank you for your advice.

A

Advisor3

I believe that you may be alright if you hire an attorney to explain the extraordinary reasons that you were not able to leave the country. ( They may ask why you haven't told them and or left since you were able.) Also US citizenship may be granted by birth but I don't believe that it is automatic. They will either except your explaination and you can keep the current Visa till 2007 or you will be deported and have trouble re-entering the country. If you need an attorney, go to www.attorneypages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">