• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

INS wants to deport my boyfriend

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

SWard-DeMaria

INS wants to deport my boyfriend back to Germany when he gets out of prision. He is in prision because of drugs no harm to anyone else just himself. He has lived in US most of his life. His father was an American GI he never married his mother. He had contact wiht his father as he was growing up not a lot but he knew his dad, he worked for him before his father died. He was adopted by the man his mother did marry so he carries his last name. I just found out that if you have a parent who is a US citizen you are also a us citizen . They never knew this info so he has been in the us for the last 40 yrs with a green card. now ins says when his sentence is finished they will be there to get him and deport him back to germany. Please help, he had a problem that hurt himself not anyone else. how can they do this? I am a naturalized citizen from germany i was adopted over there so i know his adopted father does not make him a us citizen because of adoption. Plus i lost my papers 3years ago and have been waiting that long for my permenent papers to come. I had temp. ones but they are no longer good. To request them again I just don't have the money and they have gone up 100.00 in the past 2 years.We live in California.

A

Advisor3

If he has the right to establish citizenship through his father he should do that... I beleive that it is automatic when the Father petitions and the child is under 21. i don't know how hard it will be (or if it is even possible, now that he has passed away).

Based on his status as a permanent resident, he has less rights than a full citizen, and so they can deport him to Germany, where he is a citizen, because of his felony conviction. He should request a hearing and if at all possible get an attorney. He will need to argue that America is his home and that deporting him to a "foreign country" would be an undue hardship, or alternatively he should argue for a change in status based on his parentage. If he doesn't have an attorney go to www.attorneypages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">