• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shoud I go to court?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lyin71

What is the name of your state? Indiana

I got a speeding ticket in Hamilton county at 57mph. The limit is 40 mph. I am thinking to go to court. However, I am sure if my defence will work. Please take a look the following I am trying to defend. Any suggetion is appreciated.
The road was just broadened in Aug/Sep. Almost every people drives around 50 mph. I was trying to merge to the left lane to turn left at the traffic light (about 0.4 miles). There were about 4 or 5 cars were driving about 50 mph on the left lane and I passed them so I can move to the lane to make left turn. That is why I had speed about 57 mph. After I passed all cars and there were no any car in front of me but there is a deep slope down to the interseciton. When I realized the car slipping too fast and stepped on the brake, I was caught. I didn't notice what speed I drove until the police man told me. I remeber he mentioned he was doing some project. I am assume he used radar tracking my speed. I notice that the court is very close to the police department . Same area and different building. As my situation, will my defence work? Thanks.

S

seniorjudge

If you are exceeding the speed limit, then you are guilty of exceeding the speed limit even if (insert your explanation here).

BUT...if you think the judge will buy this, then try it.

I can guarantee you that the judge has heard this one before....

S

seniorjudge

Realistic...harsh maybe, realistic definitely....

Ask the prosecutor if there is a diversion program (driving school or whatever) that you can do or if there is a way to plead to a nonmoving violation to keep the points off your license.

It will be expensive, but not as expensive as the insurance you might have to pay if a moving violation goes on your record.

I don't mean to sound harsh in these speeding posts, but y'all have to realize that most judges hear every story possible ... and that's probably in the first three days on the job.

After that, the stories start repeating and no one can come up with new, good ones!

lyin71

Should I ask the prosecutor before I go to court? I went to the web site of county's prosecutor office. It mentioned that the prosecutor can not talk with defendant. It that means if I decided to go to court, I can not ask the prosecutor of the diversion program. Thank you for your information.

S

seniorjudge

These things are done differently in just about every court, even in the same state.

When you get to court, ask the clerk what the procedure in that court is for getting into the diversion program (if there is one).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">