• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

careless driving instead of speeding

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

spudspuppy

What is the name of your state? Mississippi (city of Hattiesburg)

Got a ticket today for 48 in a 30. Wasn't really paying that much attention as I seemed to be going at the same rate like everyone else.

Don't so much have a problem with the speeding ticket, except the officer wrote me up for careless driving and wrote the speed under that instead of in the speeding box.

Question - Should I contest this and try to plea bargain it down to a speeding fine? It would seem that careless driving is much worse than a speeding ticket. This is the first time I have ever gotten a "careless driving" citation. I had a speeding ticket back in January in another town for about the same speed and was written as a speeding ticket. Prior to that I haven't had a ticket in 10 years.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Spudspuppy

[

?[/QUOTE]
MISSISSIPPI CODE OF 1972
As Amended

SEC. 63-3-1213. Careless driving

Any person who drives any vehicle in a careless or imprudent manner, without due regard for the width, grade, curves, corner, traffic and use of the streets and highways and all other attendant circumstances is guilty of careless driving. Careless driving shall be considered a lesser offense than reckless driving.

Every person convicted of careless driving shall be punished by a fine of not less than Five Dollars ($5.00) nor more than Fifty Dollars ($50.00).

SOURCES: Laws, 1993, ch. 317, Sec. 1, eff from and after July 1, 1993 (became law without Governor's signature
I would say that "not paying attention" would be careless driving...18 miles over is pretty careless also.

Last edited:

Happy Trails

spudspuppy said:
Yeah, I read that earlier...however,the fine is $114. Not $50. Just curious as which is worse insurance wise...
Yikes, careless driving 6-points.

Speeding
1-10 mph over posted limit - 1
11-15 mph over posted limit - 2
16-20 mph over posted limit - 3
21 mph or more over posted limit - 4
Speeding 1-15 mph over posted limit in a school zone - 4
Speeding 16 mph or more over posted limit in a school zone - 6

Try to go for the speeding violation.

lwpat

She may have been charged under a city ordinance. A lot of towns have a careless driving in their code which is a no points offense and may not even be reported. Check with the clerk of court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">