• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How can I stay in the States?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

X

xandra

My boyfriend is a resident alien. He is Hungarian and when he got his green card apparantly he remembers signing something which stated that he couldn't get married for five years. Is this usual? I am in the states visiting on a 90 no-visa visit. Can we get married and if so, what kind of visa would that get me and could I then stay?

A

Advisor3

Some temporary residencies are conditional. The condition is most likely that he may not marry an American... the idea being that he wasn't trying to enter the country for the purpose of marriage to a US citizen. If he marries a citizen, they will revoke his standing and then he would (probably be deported) and have to re-enter as an immigrant sponsored by his wife.
It is unusual but also possible that they conditioned his residency on not marrying anyone (so that he can't apply for her residency as well) but I've never heard of that before...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">