• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Naturalztn: In for 2 mos, out 10 Mos/Yr, Now What?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Tammy

I need help for a married couple friend.

They are Permanent Residents for 5 years and need to file for citizenship. The problem is they have left the US for 9-10 months per year and stayed here only 2-3 months per year. One person is 57 and does not speak English, although since it will take 2 years they could probably learn.

What should we do about them not spending enough time here? They are here now, should they NOT leave the US, buy a house of their own, start an Import/Export business so they can travel to their homeland?????

Any help is truly appreciated. Thanks.

A

Advisor3

Usually, permanent resident status requires that you not leave the country for more than 12 months in a row. So I think that they are OK, but they may not be able to use all that time towards there citizenship application. But I don't see the problem at this point, only that they may have to wait to apply for citizenship, but that may not be true either. You need to get a copy of the formal application for a change in status from permanent resident to citizen...(That's the place to start.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">