• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HOA now towing Handicapped vehicle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dottiehash

What is the name of your state?CA
I am a member/owner in this HOA for 23 years. New mgmt company and board has decided that we NOW (FIRST TIME IN 23 YEARS) cannot park in our driveways in front of our garages.Not for 5 minutes or overnight. My car is marked as handicapped. there is not one handicapped parking spot in the complex plus the guest parking is too far to walk for me. When I spoke to them about it they said it is common area (the driveway) and even though my garage door springs had broken and I had appt. with company who would repair garage door springs in 48 hours, mgmt. company said "park at your own risk, the towing fee is $125 .... " What recourses do I have as a handicapped driver and the Assoc. of over 300 homes has not one handicapped parking space. Previous. rule(s) were no overnight parking on street ... only in guest parking, garage or driveway.

HomeGuru

dottiehash said:
What is the name of your state?CA
I am a member/owner in this HOA for 23 years. New mgmt company and board has decided that we NOW (FIRST TIME IN 23 YEARS) cannot park in our driveways in front of our garages.Not for 5 minutes or overnight. My car is marked as handicapped. there is not one handicapped parking spot in the complex plus the guest parking is too far to walk for me. When I spoke to them about it they said it is common area (the driveway) and even though my garage door springs had broken and I had appt. with company who would repair garage door springs in 48 hours, mgmt. company said "park at your own risk, the towing fee is $125 .... " What recourses do I have as a handicapped driver and the Assoc. of over 300 homes has not one handicapped parking space. Previous. rule(s) were no overnight parking on street ... only in guest parking, garage or driveway.

**A: take your CC&R's to a real estate attorney and get a written legal opinion and a cover letter to send to the HOA.
Then send this opinion

Last edited:

rmet4nzkx

Go to the city, there are minimum parking requirements for handicapped parking even on private property. Their HOA rules don't superceed public policy. If anything, you can get a handicap zone designated for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">