• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding Ticket, Insurance Rates Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

catchthesun

What is the name of your state? Tennessee
I'm 17 with an Intermediate Licence, and I just got a speeding ticket for going 63 in a 45 zone. I admit I was speeding, I don't want to contest the ticket, but I really can't pay for my insurance rate to go up. Is there any thing I can do to keep my insurance from rising too much? Is this something I need to discuss with my insurance company?

S

seniorjudge

"Is this something I need to discuss with my insurance company?"

Yes.

lwpat

Actually you do want to contest the ticket. Normally if you show up with one of your parents on your court date the ticket is very likely to be reduced in return for a guilty plea. If you can get it reduced to an under 10mph ticket then it will have minimal effect on your insurance.

Remember that tickets stay on your record for insurance points for three years. While this ticket may not make a huge difference the next one will. Insurance companies have different policies regarding tickets and your agent can enlighten you about the chance of your premiums increasing. However do not tell your insurance company that you have received a ticket. They may not check unless there is a change made to the policy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">