• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

obligation to read email

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

racer72

Depends who and why it was sent. An example would be if the email was related to your job. For me, meeting notices and training requirements are sent by email, it is my obligation to read the emails and comply, it is part of my job. My employer pays for me to have email, I have to use it. If it is your home email, that is different. You can pick and choose as you please, you can even block sender's email from even reaching your computer.

divgradcurl

Do I have an obligation to read an email that is sent to me and I know is important?
Legally? No, unless you have some sort of contractual agreement with another party that you will conduct business by email, or something. But there is not general legal requirement to read email.

Practically? See racer72's post above...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">