• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can You Have the Assocation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

krisze

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I live in a Condo that was built in 1975 -- it's old and the outer part looks old and we don't even have a maintenance man. Two years ago our Real Estate Company had stolen $12,000 from us and our association fee went from $147 to $179. We were then told we recovered our money and the fee would go down which it didn't. Then this year we spent $15,000 on a pool that had to be fixed. We use the pool three months out of the year which I find a waste of money since I don't use the pool. Now, I just received a letter that our association fee is going up to $188.00 a month. This is just ridiculous.

My question is -- is there a way to anonymously have the Assocation's books audited? I believe we have a shady Board since they are all friends and all their friends voted them in. We were outnumbered.

Also, because of my working hours I can't attend the monthly meetings -- is there a way to ask them to send out minutes of what was discussed each month?

I appreciate your help - thanks.

HomeGuru

krisze said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan

I live in a Condo that was built in 1975 -- it's old and the outer part looks old and we don't even have a maintenance man. Two years ago our Real Estate Company had stolen $12,000 from us and our association fee went from $147 to $179. We were then told we recovered our money and the fee would go down which it didn't. Then this year we spent $15,000 on a pool that had to be fixed. We use the pool three months out of the year which I find a waste of money since I don't use the pool. Now, I just received a letter that our association fee is going up to $188.00 a month. This is just ridiculous.

My question is -- is there a way to anonymously have the Assocation's books audited? I believe we have a shady Board since they are all friends and all their friends voted them in. We were outnumbered.

Also, because of my working hours I can't attend the monthly meetings -- is there a way to ask them to send out minutes of what was discussed each month?

I appreciate your help - thanks.
**A: band together with other owners and hire an attorney to serve notice to the Board/HOA for the inspection of all HOA documents including but not limited to meeting minutes, reserve accounts, reserve study, operating budget and expenses, bank accounts, ledgers, petty cash fund, P&L statement, tax returns etc. The inspection can be completed by a CPA or accounting firm that specializes in HOA accounting and mgt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">