• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal Obligations to Report Violations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quicksilver46

What is the name of your state?Washington

I am the IT manager on a contract my firm (call it ABC) has with the US Army in an overseas location.

The US Army organization (call it XYZ) which oversees our contract effort has commited numerous violations of Federal laws, the Federal Acquisition Regulation and US Army Regulations. These violations are a direct result of the orders given by the Director of XYZ.

Our contract specifically states "Fraud, Waste, and Abuse. The contractor shall be responsible for maintaining proper conduct and good discipline within contractor occupied work areas. Government vehicles, equipment, and supplies shall not be used for personal benefit. Contractor personnel shall be alert to and report suspected situations of fraud, waste, and abuse, or other intentionally dishonest conduct against the Government observed during the performance of this contract."

I have reported the details regarding the violations I have observed to my company supervisor who reported them to our company division head in the US. The division head's response was that he would do nothing about it and if we reported the violations to levels above the Director of XYZ, he would not support us in our effort and we would suffer the consequences ourselves.

These violations have also been reported to the appropriate individuals in XYZ, including the Contracting Officer's Representtive, and they have done nothing about it for fear of losing their positions or risking the wrath of the Director..

As these violations still continue to occur, notwithstanding the reporting actions described above, I have the following questions

a. Am I legally bound to report these violation to a level above the Director until they are resolved? If so, by what law? Are there any penalties for not reporting? If yes, what are the maximum penalties?

b. Do Whistle Blower protections apply if I report to the higher levels above the Director? If so, how do I ensure that they are envoked when I report the violations?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">